Author Topic: The weather today part 3  (Read 17323 times)

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Re: The weather today part 3
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2023, 09:28:12 »
23c today - planting out peppers and toms!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2023, 15:05:43 »
10c and cloudy here....

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2023, 13:11:26 »
I’m doing my seed sowing over the next few days, first set of potatoes are nicely chitted and I’ve got another batch in colder conditions in the greenhouse just starting. I’m sowing very little direct this year as the weather just goes from one extreme to the other; it’s either too wet, cold or snowy to do much down the lottie.  So far today it’s rained enough that I still can’t cut grass or walk in soil, brilliant sunshine then looking like snow again…so everything is either going into modules like my garlic shallots and onions, or down under cover until the night temperatures improve…🙄🙄🙄
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2023, 22:43:55 »
I'm  praying for reasonable weather tomorrow.

Each to their own but for me I really want nothing to do with the antediluvian shenanigans. I hope to head to the lottie and not return until it's all over.  It may be an unpopular opinion but given the new king's immense wealth the taxpayer picking up the tab for this shindig seems like taking the proverbial.

And don't get me started on that request to swear allegiance.
Not mad, just out to mulch!

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2023, 09:33:44 »
Cloudy start here...

Beersmith

• Hectare
« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2023, 21:06:01 »
Where is all that warm weather that was promised?  Been rather cool and breezy here.  The ground is very dry too, seems like the wind has been having a very drying effect over the past couple of weeks. 

Does anyone know if low atmospheric humidity dries the ground and to what extent.  We haven't had a prolonged dry period and the ground seems far dryer than would be normal after just a week or so without rain.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2023, 22:01:03 »
Although this week is my traditional planting out time I haven't planted out my plants yet because the ground is far too dry.It is snuff dry to around 3"(75mm) down and as my plants are growing in 3"(75mm) to plant  them could be fatal in my opinion so I am going to wait until we get some rain.

I feel that delaying my planting out is safer,plus it is easier to keep them watered as they are now than it would be if I planted them out now.

Paulh

• Hectare
« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2023, 08:56:22 »
The dry weather last week took me by surprise - we were away and hadn't expected it. It rained a little overnight and is overcast now, but the forecast is giving 0% chance of rain well into next week.

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #48 on: May 31, 2023, 12:07:34 »
Not much above freezing here at the moment. Too cold to be outside even with thermals and a fleece.
Gardening is the great leveller.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2023, 10:21:51 »
No rain forecasted for us here in Derbyshire for the next 20 days but night temps still around 8 degrees…..I have planted out two lots of bush tomatoes with protection and a prolonged hardening off period but will need to be watering every three days if so to keep everything going at this rate! 🙄
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

JanG

• Hectare
  • Gardening on fen silt
« Reply #50 on: June 02, 2023, 06:20:20 »
Cool and very dry in Lincolnshire too. I’ve planted out most things. The beans especially are not enjoying the lowish temperatures. And I’m feeling the need to water well any new plantings. We had some overnight rain a couple of nights ago but not enough to penetrate far. A good downpour would be most welcome.

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #51 on: June 02, 2023, 08:09:36 »
Still really cold first thing. Cloudy and a very strong easterly wind.
Gardening is the great leveller.

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #52 on: June 02, 2023, 12:30:05 »
Finally got a warm day, but as Deb P says.. no sign of any rain...

Beersmith

• Hectare
« Reply #53 on: June 19, 2023, 11:14:00 »
Some rain yesterday and overnight at long last.  Decent amount too and most welcome after about a full month without any.  I like good weather but my word, we seem to get increasingly long periods stuck in a fixed weather pattern like March when it did little else but rain.

peanuts

• Hectare
« Reply #54 on: June 20, 2023, 07:10:57 »
Down here in the centre of the French Pyrenees, we are also stuck in a weather pattern, totally different from the UK, and the many dry parts of France - we have been having daily, and all day, storms for nearly a month now!  The veg patch is completely sodden and puddly.  The peppers haven't grown since being planted out five weeks ago.  I did plant out 20 tomato plants three weeks ago, and amazingly they are hanging on in there, but not yet growing. 
There are positives, though - 
the early potatoes are the best we've ever grown,  with no damage from mole crickets who perhaps can't struggle through sodden light clay;
lettuces have been superb;
all the climbing beans are climbing as they ought to and are now flowering;
I've had almost 100% germination for sweetcorn, and it is growing well, they just need some hot sun;
 the local Trébonce onions are big and ready to start eating;
and I picked our first autumn raspberries yesterday, and they are going to give a terrific crop, they're definitely happy with the wet !
So a really weird year so far,  and definitely a worrying and difficult one for the farmers.

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #55 on: June 20, 2023, 07:27:58 »
Had a good downpour on Sunday, welcome as we were away for four days... and it looks like some more today!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #56 on: July 15, 2023, 13:00:55 »
doesn't bode well for St. Swithins day

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #57 on: July 16, 2023, 17:35:13 »
It's been persisting it down on and off for days...

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #58 on: July 16, 2023, 17:44:15 »
At least it has filled my two water butts, something they haven't been for 6 weeks or more!

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #59 on: July 18, 2023, 14:14:26 »
Could be worse, we could be roasting like most of Europe! We’d still be moaning of course, it’s the British way…..😂🙄😂

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal