Allotment Stuff > The Basics

Why rotovate ???

<< < (2/4) > >>

BarriedaleNick:
Here in Portugal the rotavator is king - virtually everyone with a bit of land uses one, at least round here.  Generally it is so hot and dry that any worms are 2 ft down and why worry about perennial weeds when you can just spray your entire plot with weedkiller..  This is the way many locals garden and it apes the way many farmers work too but on a less industrial scale - spray and kill everything, then 2 weeks later come back and rotavate it all in with a huge bag of blue pellet fertiliser, plant and water.  They get great results and many people here are relatively poor, in time as well as the unusual sense so I don't begrudge them their ways, I just don't want to go that route...

Beersmith:

--- Quote from: gray1720 on February 16, 2022, 21:07:40 ---I am ever-thankful for the existence of Madam Hannah and her House of Pain!

--- End quote ---

Well thank you for sharing, and I'm sure we all have our own little peccadilloes, but isn't this a little off topic?

Tee Gee:
I have  always thought  that a worm  cut in two then becomes two worms and chopped up worms become many. Have I got it wrong?

Deb P:

--- Quote from: Tee Gee on February 17, 2022, 10:05:11 ---I have  always thought  that a worm  cut in two then becomes two worms and chopped up worms become many. Have I got it wrong?

--- End quote ---

Looks like that’s a partial yes……🥴

“If an earthworm is split in two, it will not become two new worms. The head of the worm may survive and regenerate its tail if the animal is cut behind the clitellum. But the original tail of the worm will not be able to grow a new head (or the rest of its vital organs), and will instead die.”

Tee Gee:

--- Quote from: Deb P on February 17, 2022, 10:23:20 ---
--- Quote from: Tee Gee on February 17, 2022, 10:05:11 ---I have  always thought  that a worm  cut in two then becomes two worms and chopped up worms become many. Have I got it wrong?

--- End quote ---

Looks like that’s a partial yes……🥴

--- End quote ---

Thanks for that Deb, something from my past told me that cutting up worms was not a total disaster, but I can't recall the bit about the back end and front end. Another aged moment, I guess.(getting a lot of them these days!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version