Author Topic: Can you use too much manure/ compost  (Read 2347 times)

Offwego

Can you use too much manure/ compost
« on: February 12, 2022, 11:52:48 »
After a poor year last year I’m determined to have a better year in the polytunnel this year. I have put in the beds 50mm of homemade compost, a good sprinkling of chicken pellets ,  100mm of guinee pig bedding turned that all in to the existing soil then topped them off today with 30mm of spent mushroom compost, I’m hoping that should sort them out but can you over manure and cause more harm than good?

Paulh

• Hectare
Re: Can you use too much manure/ compost
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2022, 12:59:11 »
I don't know. I suspect it is more easily done if you are applying a concentrated feed or inorganic fertiliser directly to or around a plant, or (say) a nitrogen-rich feed in the autumn which encourages lush growth that the frosts will kill. You rather are applying mostly bulky material containing nutrients and digging that into the soil. The plants will take up what they need as their roots grow into it. The mushroom compost may be slightly alkaline, which brassicas like and potatoes don't; tomatoes may not be keen on it either.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2022, 14:45:23 »
Let me answer this in stages

1)I have put in the beds 50 mm of homemade compost.

I see no problem with that, but timing can have an effect

2) a good sprinkling of chicken pellets

I never put fertilisers on until I am ready to plant out, otherwise the fertiliser may have leached away before the plant needs them!

Added to which some additives e.g. Lime can react with fresh manure

3)100mm of guinee pig bedding turned that all in to the existing soil.

I would have put this with the homemade compost!

4)then topped them off today with 30 mm of spent mushroom compost

This is one of those compost/manures you have to be quite careful with as this often has high quantities of lime in it and  as I mentioned above this can react with manure.
Usually I was selective which beds I would use it on e.g I would use it where I planned on planting Brassicas but never where I was planting Potatoes

5)I’m hoping that should sort them out, but can you over manure and cause more harm than good?

Personally I don't think so, however I think when you apply it/them can make a big difference!

This link and its relative links might help you!

https://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Content/S/Soil-Preparation/Soil%20Cultivation.htm

click on images to enlarge

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2022, 16:07:52 »
What Tee Gee said!  :happy7:
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Offwego

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2022, 18:26:38 »
I am working on the theory feed the soil and not the plants .

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2022, 22:52:02 »
It's very hard to advise.

The spent mushroom compost is likely to be well balanced between N P and K, but as others have already noted can be high lime.  Lime in reasonable quantities makes nutrients more readily available so is no bad thing.  Home made compost is usually quite low in most nutrients but the bedding with poo and urine will probably be a bit high in nitrogen. But then chicken pellets are also high nitrogen too.  So depending on what you mean by a good sprinkling there is a risk of having a bit too much nitrogen relative to the other nutrients. 

Nitrogen does deplete quicker than other nutrients and does get washed out with heavy rainfall too.  On the plus side you may have some amazing leafy veg next season. Broccoli, kale, pak choi, lettuce and spinach are probably going to love it!

I have a personal theory that courgettes also like nitrogen. 
Not mad, just out to mulch!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2022, 16:25:18 »
Well they do need to make a lot of leaves very quickly...

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2022, 11:11:36 »
Depends what I'm going to grow in a particular patch.  I never use fertiliser where I'm going to grow brassicas if I've used it the season before.  I check ph to see if I need lime in the autumn, then leave well alone unless something goes wrong.  Otherwise Tee Gee has it sorted I reckon!  :blob7:
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal