Author Topic: pruning  (Read 2696 times)

cudsey

• Half Acre
pruning
« on: February 08, 2022, 18:25:35 »
I was wondering if it is too early to hard prune a patio rose that is in a pot and has got quite large also when I  prune my hydrangeas do I just take it to the top set of leaves or can I go further down   TIA
Barnsley S Yorks

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: pruning
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2022, 19:44:23 »
I don't like to prune roses till end Feb/mid March depending on the weather as heavy frosts immediately after pruning will damage the newly cut tissue and may also kill any buds now they've lot the protection of the longer stems.

Pruning hydrangeas is dependant on the variety you have:-

Mopheads and lace caps flower on old wood so you can just remove the old flower heads being careful not to damage the new buds behind them. 
If your shrub is too thick and bushy you can remove up to 1/3 of the stems right down to the base.  Choose the oldest stems and repeat the process every year so your shrub is renewed and renvigorated over 3 years.

Paniculata and oak leaf (quercifolius) varieties flower on new wood so you can stems hard back to a low pair of buds.

Don't prune when frosts are forecast and don't get too excited before the worst of the frosts are over or you'll lose new buds.  Timing depends on where you are and how exposed.

Feed afterwards with something like pelleted chicken manure plus a dollop of rose or tomato feed to encourage flowering.  You can also mulch with well-rooted garden compost or manure while the soil is still damp from winter rains but not frozen.
Obxx - Vendée France

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal