Author Topic: potato help please  (Read 2124 times)

small

• Hectare
potato help please
« on: January 28, 2022, 16:00:58 »
Specifically, I want to grow just a few Pink Fir Apple this year. None of my local places seem to stock them, can anyone recommend an online supplier? Ebay is full of them but some of them look more like Anya to me. Thanks.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: potato help please
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2022, 18:35:09 »
I did a google search for Pink Fir Apple suppliers and this produced many suppliers. Had a look at a few and some of the prices were just ridiculous. Kings seeds seemed to be best value for money.

MervF

• Half Acre
  • Poole, Dorset
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2022, 19:44:19 »
Kings  had Pink Fir Apple in their catalogue - www.kingsseeds.com

murphy99

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2022, 19:51:16 »
JBA jamieson brothers have them 2kg free  P&P   i got 50 potatoes in 2kg

pumkinlover

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2022, 07:20:56 »
Specifically, I want to grow just a few Pink Fir Apple this year. None of my local places seem to stock them, can anyone recommend an online supplier? Ebay is full of them but some of them look more like Anya to me. Thanks.

We were packing pre-orders for Chesterfield Potato day  these come from JBA, at the time I noticed that the PFA are a lot less knobbly than before. Personally I don't mind this as I like Anya better due to a Mr PKL who only likes peeled potatoes!

small

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2022, 15:17:00 »
I never thought of Chesterfield Potato Day, I've missed it now! The fuel cost might have put it out of the question anyway... thanks for replies, everyone, I don't have room for more than ten plants so the 2k bags would feel very wasteful. Can you eat the tubers sold as seed potatoes?

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2022, 11:44:37 »
I suppose you could but they are usually not very big!
I find PFA taste like Brazil nuts to me, so much prefer Anya! Plus you get bigger sized potatoes with the crossed varieties, I’m sticking to Charlotte for this year! 😂
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

small

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2022, 15:18:32 »
I've swapped to Charlotte for my main potato growing, nice and early but keep well too. I might try to source some Anya instead.  It's good to be planning, though!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2022, 08:05:16 »
I find Nicola and Carlingford quite good in that early but keep well category....

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2022, 23:08:28 »
Hi, our local nurseries in North Warwick's and south leics.,  are stocking fir apple. You don't say what you class as a "few" 😁. Cost roughly £3 per kilo. We are not growing them as main crop this year. Chosen Vitabella and Maris Bard as first early, Desiree, Manitou and Sarpo as main crop. Hope you find what you need at a price to suit. xx  :wave:
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

small

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2022, 15:17:36 »
They grow so sprawly I only have room for ten at most, of course I may regret putting them  next to the Jersualem Artichokes.....I'm going to try some off ebay, what's the worst that can happen...

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal