General > The Shed

Gardening Materials and Covid

<< < (2/4) > >>

Obelixx:
Anyone with any sense!

What's so dreadful about eastern Europeans?  At least they were willing to work in nurseries and fields doing jobs the Brits won't touch.

gray1720:
Well, I was being sarcastic, but maybe I should have added [sarcasm][/sarcasm] tags?

saddad:
I can never find them (Sarcasm tags, not East Europeans) when I'm looking for them..

Beersmith:
Industrial production of fertilizer uses high levels of energy, this adds considerably to CO2 emissions, but given the current high cost of energy expect to see big price increases in things like ammonium nitrate and growmore.

But what is the betting that animal manure and blood fish and bone will rise in price too?  They will blame processing and transport costs obviously.

Digeroo:
I bought some blood fish and bone in September and it was considerably more than I had paid previously.  £18.60 for 25 KG.  I think last time I got some it was £14 ish. 
We get free manure, so I am hoping to use more of that this year. And I am making more compost.  I also use a lot of stinging nettle and comfrey teas which are also free.   
I went to my local Dobbies garden centre, and the price of multi purpose compost was huge and the bags were all wet and dirty.
I am hoping Lidl and/or Aldi will have some soon.
2020 I did an experiment with Aldi compost against Hilliers which was x3 price wise.   I grew 10 courgettes seedlings 5 in each compost and there was no particular difference, all bonny plants.  The biggest and the smallest was in Aldi but the average size of the plants was very similar.  I preferred the texture of the Aldi.  The Hilliers was like the dirt from a vacuum cleaner bag. All 10 plants grew away well when planted out. 
I missed the Eastern Europeans who had the next allotment to me.  They grew amazing celeriac and bell peppers.  Their peppers dripped with fruit of every colour.     

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version