Author Topic: Using paving slabs for compost bin base  (Read 1911 times)

George the Pigman

• Hectare
  • Birmingham, neutral clay soil
Using paving slabs for compost bin base
« on: January 19, 2022, 19:13:05 »
I am finally clearing out my overfull old New Zealand style double compost bin and after many years use it needs replacing as it is falling to bits.
I've a lot of old paving slabs from another project. Is there any reason why I can't use them to slab the base of the new bin? It would make clearing it out easier.
I am going to start the new bin off with partially rotted stuff from the old bin so any worms etc will be already their to work their magic.

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
Re: Using paving slabs for compost bin base
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2022, 20:47:42 »
I have 2 daleks permanently standing on paving slabs, albeit close to my raised beds -  no problem at all and the compost is awash with red wrigglers. As you propose to do, I also use remaining half rotted material to start off the freshly emptied darlek on its next cycle each year.

Tricia  :wave:

InfraDig

• Hectare
  • Rochester, Kent
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2022, 19:26:22 »
I have two daleks on a concrete base by a brick building, not particularly close to soil, and they have plenty of red wigglers. I did give each bin a starting layer, but I think they would probably have found the bins even if I hadn't. "Build it and they will come"!!

gray1720

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2022, 19:14:35 »
Yep - I have a single dalek on a slab base, and it turns anything I throw at it into compost at a terriffying rate, plus has lots of wrigglers. Go for it!
My garden is smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum!

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2022, 12:15:51 »
I got around the need for a base by using an old galvanised coldwater tank on its end - the rolled edges (now upright) keep the planks in place and I get a lot less rat problems, so I recommend it.

I needed to cut off what was the top panel for convenient loading - but I slide it in like a guillotine so I only need a few planks to fill it to the top. I find compost bins "eat" planks - and the bottom planks were an easier route for rats anyway.

If a really rapid heap is essential then you can line it with cardboard or newspapers - without worrying too much about rats. Also PU foam sheets are available from your local skip.

Cheers
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal