Allotment Stuff > The Basics

More queries about Sweetcorn

(1/4) > >>

Tiny Clanger:
The corn I grew(Lark) matured quite early. I have grown Conqueror  in the past as a "late" variety. Are there any others that mature later in the season that may be worth considering?  :wave:

Paulh:
I grow "Swift" which is supposed to be ready in August - September but I've been finding is more like September, into October. Indeed, this year we picked cobs nearly every day from 17 September to 14 October. This is later than other people's sweetcorn on the same site.

I think the reason for the delay is simply that for some years now due to bad weather or having a holiday in early May I've delayed sowing the seeds until mid-May, so the plants are set out in late June.

So if you are happy with "Lark" as a variety, the answer may be to try a later sowing that will follow on from the first.

Tulipa:
Hi,

I grow Swift, I always have done and they produce a wonderful crop.  You can start sweetcorn much later than other crops and following Jeannine's method which I will post the link to below she recommends only allowing 3 weeks from sowing to planting out to avoid inhibiting the roots.  I have followed this method since I first read it and prefer to start them at the end of May for planting out in June as there is more space in the greenhouse for them by then and this gives you a later crop.  I know other people do this too although there are not so many of us left on here now!  I apologise if you already know all this!

She also recommends freezing the cobs immediately they are picked having stripped off the leaves and tassels so they are ready to cook and wrapping in clingfilm individually.  These can then be cooked in the microwave as per instruction straight from the freezer, mine take 3-4 minutes but it depends on the microwave. The actual inside of the cob does not need to be fully cooked as you are not eating it.  They are delicious done like this as they retain the "just picked" flavour as the sugars have not had time to change to starch.  I apologise if you already know this but put it for anyone new to growing sweetcorn.  I picture her running in from the garden at speed to get them frozen and do the same myself :)

The link hasn't worked so I will post it in a reply underneath

Tulipa:
The search engine is now not working so I will paraphrase and hope I get it right!  Basically Jeannine's method was to sow late, individually into peat or newspaper pots into warm compost. I always started mine with some warmth, then keep in a greenhouse for 2 weeks then harden off so that they are sown individually and then planted out with as little disturbance to the roots as possible as they get settled and growing much faster. Time from sowing to planting out not more than 3 weeks.  It has always worked brilliantly although if I remember to do it I will chit on paper towel first to only sow viable seed but most of them usually are.

Paulh:
Thanks, Tulipa, that's similar to what I've been ending up doing but I have delayed the planting out a bit longer so that the plants are beyond the wispy grass stage! I plant one seed to a deepish module.

You say: "I know other people do this too although there are not so many of us left on here now!  I apologise if you already know all this!" Please always pass on what you know. I've been gardening for decades and have had an allotment for about 15 years and I'm still willing to learn!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version