Author Topic: Butternut squash  (Read 2148 times)

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
Butternut squash
« on: January 09, 2022, 15:58:22 »
OH made some lovely butternut squash soup a!though he over did the fresh ginger. Just bought some more squash but expensive so will try and grow some this year. No allotment but in pots maybe.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: Butternut squash
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2022, 20:48:51 »
You'll need big pots, rich compost and plenty of watering and feeding in a sunny location to get good fruit.   They can sprawl so you'll also need a climbing support to get the flowers and fruit up and into full sun.
Obxx - Vendée France

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2022, 00:54:58 »
The variety  Butterbush is supposed to be good for growing in a large container but I would think growing any squash in a container would need plenty of water and frequent feeding.

Tricia  :wave:

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2022, 18:36:10 »
Think I will forget that idea as think they do need a lot of space.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2022, 21:37:13 »
Try Utchiki Kuri instead.  Small round onion shaped fruits with good flavour and you can easily stop the plant after it's set a few fruit and that will control vigour.  Still needs a god pot plus feeding and watering but easier to get a good, tasty crop in a poor summer.

Or maybe just a courgette?
Obxx - Vendée France

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2022, 19:59:34 »
I grew squash "Victor" very successfully in a pot last year. I kept it to just one fruit. May try a different one this time. I grew it in 50% soil, 50% Jack's  Magic with a good helping of well rotted horse muck.
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal