General > Bargains Galore

Vegetable seed recommendations for this year?

<< < (4/4)

Deb P:
I’m also looking at growing smaller squash as we no longer carve pumpkins for halloween, acorn and onion types are good to cook but a bit too small and there a lot of much bigger types around, it’s finding those ‘just right’ sized ones!

Paulh:
I grow two squash that might suit you:

"Amoro" is an orange-skinned squash which I grew for the first time this year. The plants produced 2 - 5 squash each and are bush, so compact. Good flavour, ripened early but did not keep as long as others (but may be I did not get the process right). I bought it because I could not find "Potimarron" seeds.

"Black Futsu" I have grown for a few seasons. The squash start off olive green and ripen to an orange brown in storage, some going a little warty. Segmented rather than smooth. It tastes good as well.

Both are larger than coconuts and smaller than melons! So two or three meals for two - we often roast more than we need with other vegetables and turn the excess into soup.

I buy the seeds from Tamar Organics who also have butternut "Tiana" which is the best butternut for me usually (but not this year!).

Vinlander:

--- Quote from: Beersmith on January 08, 2022, 12:34:10 ---In terms of taste nothing beats Galeux  D'eysines, I grew them for several seasons. Maybe I was lucky with the weather but had good crops most years.
--- End quote ---

Your photo shows many more warts than mine - so it looks riper - but was it red inside? I have so little experience of properly ripe ones (hopefully that will change next week) so I still don't know what guarantees the flavour...

It makes me wonder if I might get a riper fruit by growing it faster? Do you manure heavily in the traditional way? I saw a similar giant fruit - maybe 60cm across - in Myddelton House Gardens just South of Capel Manor. It looked like someone had hidden a pouffe by sewing groundnut shells onto it.

OTOH I don't really want giant fruit any more than you do - so I'm hoping my method in/out of a polytunnel with cautious fertilizer (about 300g of cockapoo pellets per plant) will produce ripeness in 30cm fruit.

Cheers.

JanG:
Am I right in thinking that cockatoo pellets are high in nitrogen and might therefore promote leaf growth rather than promote - or even at the expense of - fruiting?

Beersmith:

--- Quote from: Vinlander on January 21, 2022, 13:04:28 ---
--- Quote from: Beersmith on January 08, 2022, 12:34:10 ---In terms of taste nothing beats Galeux  D'eysines, I grew them for several seasons. Maybe I was lucky with the weather but had good crops most years.
--- End quote ---

Your photo shows many more warts than mine - so it looks riper - but was it red inside? I have so little experience of properly ripe ones (hopefully that will change next week) so I still don't know what guarantees the flavour...

Cheers.

--- End quote ---

Alas I cannot remember the flesh colour.  I remember that it was a very warty example and that was why I took a photo.  I must stress that the success I had with this variety was blind luck.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version