General > Bargains Galore

Vegetable seed recommendations for this year?

(1/4) > >>

Deb P:
I’ve been looking at my usual vegetable sites for a bit of inspiration, particularly for new squash I haven’t had a go at growing before. Nothing has really caught my eye, any suggestions? Or any new favourites from last year for any veg?

saddad:
I grew Malabar Spinach in the poly this time and was very pleased. Also late sown turnips (after the spuds were lifted) which are now tennis ball sized and good roasted.

Beersmith:
I'd suggest Florence fennel. Easy to grow, and nice to eat.  It tends to run to seed if sown early, but grows quite quickly and if started mid to late summer will stand well into the autumn. Doesn't seem prone to pests or diseases. Worth a try.  I tried it first a few seasons back and it is part of my standard crops.

Paulh:
I'm a fennel fan as well, though this year was less successful - I start mine off in modules and they transplant well, but I was delayed in planting them out, and most of them bolted.

saddad:
I put some fennel in the poly three years ago and have cut it right down every winter and it bounces back. It is showing it's age now so will probably start again this time. Only "pest"  has been the odd outbreak of aphids... again solved by cutting it all down to break the cycle..

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version