Author Topic: sweet potatoes  (Read 2238 times)

ACE

• Hectare
sweet potatoes
« on: December 08, 2021, 07:30:18 »
After years of hoping a sweet potato would sprout I have a whole veg rack all sprouting away. Trouble is it is the middle of december. I have never grown them. So what do you reckon about potting them on the window sill and see if they survive through to planting time. I have a heat mat but I do not want to encourage too much growth. Or should I just throw the shoots in a wok and eat them.

ACE

• Hectare
Re: sweet potatoes
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2021, 08:16:11 »
Whoops, should have gone to spec savers, they are red tubular shaped baking potatoes. Can somebody move this down to the cracker jokes.

pumkinlover

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2021, 08:23:26 »
LOL!

woodypecks

• Hectare
    • Daisy in the Garden
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2021, 17:49:58 »
Lol ! Lol ! Lol !    :wave:
Trespassers will be composted !

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2022, 20:36:00 »
I am sure that your potatoes will do well. 

I managed to get some sweet potatoes to sprout about three years ago by giving them a good scrub and suspending them in some water.  I think they spray them with something to prevent them sprouting.
I kept them under plastic all summer, they had every possible TLC.  There were huge amounts of lovely leaves, I regretted in the end not eating those. And a lot of very beautiful flowers   So I had high hopes of a good harvest but ended up with a few very meagre roots the size of my thumb which had very little flesh inside.  I have gone back to buying them.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2022, 09:56:18 »
They grow really well here and the slips cost maybe 20p each - we just bought a bundle for a couple of euros and there were loads of them, too many to plant.  Despite a difficult season they got away and I had over 25 kilos come October.  Going to do more varieties this year
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2022, 17:17:54 »
I assume that things are rather warmer and sunnier with your now in Portugal.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal