Author Topic: Frozen gooseberries  (Read 4693 times)

AnnieD

• Half Acre
  • Royston, North Herts, very chalky
Frozen gooseberries
« on: December 06, 2021, 17:01:29 »
Hi, sorry it's so long since I last posted. Just looking for ideas.

I had so many gooseberries this year, I froze 2 big bags. Now I'm running out of space in the freezer. I made a crumble last week, but loads of juice made it very soggy.

Any ideas for using frozen gooseberries?

Thanks
Located in Royston, North Herts.

gray1720

• Hectare
Re: Frozen gooseberries
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2021, 17:08:36 »
If you like mackerel or other oily fish you can stew a few goosegogs up and use them, just as they are, as a side/dip - the sharp fruit work really well. See also rhubarb.
My garden is smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum!

InfraDig

• Hectare
  • Rochester, Kent
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2021, 22:41:39 »
I really don't know where I got this from, somewhere in the depths of the interwebs! I have made it a few times and I'm very happy with it. I think the last time I made it, I reduced the sugar to 1Kg and could possibly reduce it further.
No straining or sieving, you just use the lot!

Gooseberry Sauce

Ingredients
1kg gooseberries, top and tailed
2 cups vinegar (cider or ‘white’ vinegar)
1.5kg brown sugar
1 tablespoon ground allspice
1 tablespoon ground cloves
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
Method
• Top & tail gooseberries.
• Put all ingredients in large pan, bring to boil, simmer slowly uncovered for around 2
hours.
• Blend to give a thick puree.
• Pour into hot clean jars & seal.

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2021, 23:50:50 »
With some apple trees and a good selection of fruit bushes I recognise the freezer getting full issue only too well.  One approach is to be imaginative about mixing them.  Apple pulp and redcurrants work brilliantly in a crumble. You may be able to balance some with higher moisture content with others to achieve a better balance.  Raspberries and white currants together are simply lovely.
Not mad, just out to mulch!

pumkinlover

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2021, 08:20:06 »
Another approach we use is to make a separate crumble topping by baking it in the oven on the grill tray.

Then we just add it to already stewed fruit. It's not the classic crumble but still okay.

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2021, 14:46:54 »
Since you've found out how to make gooseberry juice it opens up a wide range of options...

I use lemon juice to make horrible cheap orange juice actually taste more like fruit and less like a mixture of sugar and mashed potato - gooseberry juice does the same zing-up thing (if you don't put too much sugar in it - in this recipe the ideal is none).

Vodka & gooseberry juice is even better - a sort of green Sea-Breeze.

If you have any pectinase in your larder you can produce raw gooseberry juice - but it can ferment while you're waiting for the enzyme to work - and I don't have enough vodka to stop it. I certainly don't have enough to stop frozen fruit going brown.

Cheers (literally).

With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal