Produce > Under Glass

Winter Prep

<< < (2/4) > >>

Obelixx:
Autumn is the best time to plant and transplant when the soil is still warm and there's rain to get the roots growing well.

I have twice cleared 2 borders of weeds ready to plant bulbs and add more perennials but it's been so warm that new weeds have grown yet again.   It's to be colder this week with temps in single figures so I'm hoping for 3rd time lucky.   Want to get my broad beans in this week too and some garlic.

Beersmith:
Plenty of wisdom here.

Many times I have done my"winter digging" too early, only to find a mild start to the winter leaves me needing to do much of it again.  I'm getting too old for that.  I'm holding back a bit this year.

I have cleared and planted garlic and a new strawberry bed in the past few weeks, but I think I'll pause now until the cold weather really sets in.

gray1720:
Not a lot of choice here- if I don't get the lower of the two half-plots dug early enough, I won't get onto it until about May as it's low enough to flood, and stays like an otter's pocket. The other one cannot be more than 12 " higher, and a plot's length away, yet can be dug in almost any conditions. Don't ask why as I don't know.

The soggy one is almost done, though I must confess to cheating on the corner that I didn't get round to planting this year, and putting black plastic down. There's a lot of seedling couch grass, and the plastic should do for a lot of that by spring. 

Plot22:
Planted 200 odd garlic last week including 60 elephant. This year I  am trying overwintering onions that I have grown from seed as the last couple years the ones I have grown from sets have all bolted. Set 60 Longor shallots last week from my own stock. I used to set them in the spring but last year set them in November and they were the best that I have ever grown.
Where I live I have half a dozen sycamore trees in my back garden so leaves are a problem. I take the all down to the allotment and fill my leaf bin. Once that is full I dig the rest straight in. I do not think they have a lot of goodness in them but over the years it has given me 18" of topsoil. When spring comes there are no leaves to be seen as the worms have taken them deep into the soil. I taking 4 big bags down there today.

saddad:
My garlic is still sitting there, snarling at me, waiting to be planted.... oops!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version