Author Topic: Winter Prep  (Read 5611 times)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Winter Prep
« on: October 22, 2021, 16:08:23 »
Hi all

I have made a start on 'Winter Preparations'

I have lifted a load of plants (spit them if necessary) that have outstayed their current position.

My problem is; still haven't got my garden laid out as I want it, and to be quite honest I am not actually sure what I want! :BangHead:

I want to get my herbaceous border less labour intensive, but this year it just run riot with plants growing much higher than usual.

My Chrysanths are about a foot higher than they normally grow, some new stuff I put in turned out to be either too high or too low growing, and I just didn't like it hence me lifting the amount of plants I did!

My neighbours hedge had grown about two feet thicker resulting in the foliage covering my pot store, so I cut this back to my fence line.(took 25 x 70 litre compost bagful to the tip)

Now that it has been cut back, I will get a lot more light into my greenhouse.

I have erected a mesh fence to hopefully keep the hedge under better control in future.

I have included a few before & after pics below.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2021, 16:13:21 by Tee Gee »

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Winter Prep
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2021, 10:21:15 »
Still putting the rest of us to shame!

small

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2021, 15:06:11 »
I thought I'd got my big herbaceous border and most of my veg patch ready for winter. Everything cut down that should be cut down, all the weeds out, shrubs and bordering trees all trimmed....
The soil on both areas is completely greened over again, and now it's all covered with silver birch and willow leaves as well. I sometimes wonder why I bother!

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2021, 16:28:11 »
Still putting the rest of us to shame!

Would I do such a thing :angel11: :happy7:

The soil on both areas is completely greened over again, and now it's all covered with silver birch and willow leaves as well. I sometimes wonder why I bother!

Been there done that, but this year I am holding back a bit because of this mild weather, although having said that; I did do the bed under that hedge I cut back this morning as it is in permanent shade now!

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2021, 11:27:25 »
Be ruthless TeeGee. Everything out and then see what you want in there.  Chance to revitalise the whole border and replant in the spring   :wave:
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2021, 16:56:42 »
Autumn is the best time to plant and transplant when the soil is still warm and there's rain to get the roots growing well.

I have twice cleared 2 borders of weeds ready to plant bulbs and add more perennials but it's been so warm that new weeds have grown yet again.   It's to be colder this week with temps in single figures so I'm hoping for 3rd time lucky.   Want to get my broad beans in this week too and some garlic.
Obxx - Vendée France

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2021, 22:22:11 »
Plenty of wisdom here.

Many times I have done my"winter digging" too early, only to find a mild start to the winter leaves me needing to do much of it again.  I'm getting too old for that.  I'm holding back a bit this year.

I have cleared and planted garlic and a new strawberry bed in the past few weeks, but I think I'll pause now until the cold weather really sets in.
Not mad, just out to mulch!

gray1720

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2021, 19:55:14 »
Not a lot of choice here- if I don't get the lower of the two half-plots dug early enough, I won't get onto it until about May as it's low enough to flood, and stays like an otter's pocket. The other one cannot be more than 12 " higher, and a plot's length away, yet can be dug in almost any conditions. Don't ask why as I don't know.

The soggy one is almost done, though I must confess to cheating on the corner that I didn't get round to planting this year, and putting black plastic down. There's a lot of seedling couch grass, and the plastic should do for a lot of that by spring. 
My garden is smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum!

Plot22

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2021, 08:14:13 »
Planted 200 odd garlic last week including 60 elephant. This year I  am trying overwintering onions that I have grown from seed as the last couple years the ones I have grown from sets have all bolted. Set 60 Longor shallots last week from my own stock. I used to set them in the spring but last year set them in November and they were the best that I have ever grown.
Where I live I have half a dozen sycamore trees in my back garden so leaves are a problem. I take the all down to the allotment and fill my leaf bin. Once that is full I dig the rest straight in. I do not think they have a lot of goodness in them but over the years it has given me 18" of topsoil. When spring comes there are no leaves to be seen as the worms have taken them deep into the soil. I taking 4 big bags down there today.

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2021, 08:38:01 »
My garlic is still sitting there, snarling at me, waiting to be planted.... oops!

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2021, 15:36:38 »
Made a start on winter clearing early this morning, surprised how moist the soil was considering we haven't had much rain recently but my compost heap is now 6ft high!
I quite like clearing and prepping the plot, it's rather satisfying but my leeks seem to have disappeared! Still loads to do though.......
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

gray1720

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2021, 17:53:11 »
The soggy one is almost done, though I must confess to cheating on the corner that I didn't get round to planting this year, and putting black plastic down. There's a lot of seedling couch grass, and the plastic should do for a lot of that by spring. 

Now done! I'm going to put some muck round the fruit bushes and the asparagus, and mulch them in a futile attempt to keep the weeds down, and that's that half done for the winter - just the brassica cage to remove and dig in about May now (currently full of winter greens).

The other half will be easier, and I can do that in bits and pieces without needing to steam in in haste.

Oh, and I found a buckshee gooseberry bush that has found its way home so we'll have a few goosegogs there as well. Bonus!
My garden is smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum!

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2021, 07:26:49 »
Garlic, over-winter onions and shallots all in now!

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2021, 13:30:11 »
Garlic, over-winter onions and shallots all in now!
My Franchi ones haven’t even arrived yet!
Too warm to plants the tulips in the garden as well….🙄
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

pumkinlover

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2021, 07:37:49 »
When did you order? mine came weeks ago. Can you give them a ring?

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2021, 08:48:56 »
Should be cool enough for the Tulips after this weekend...

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2021, 09:04:10 »
Garlic arrived yesterday! Phew….

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal