Author Topic: Autumn Raspberry question  (Read 2271 times)

small

• Hectare
Autumn Raspberry question
« on: September 28, 2021, 15:34:08 »
I've had a wonderful crop from my Joan J canes this year, but they are pretty much finished now. I usually follow the book and prune in February - but what is the downside of pruning now? I'll have a much better chance of eliminating the bindweed and generally clearing the area if I do it now, but obviously I don't want to jeopardise next year's crop. What does anyone else here do?

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Autumn Raspberry question
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2021, 17:06:02 »
Although I agree with February pruning and understand your predicament, you could risk cutting out the older (darker) canes to ground level and this should improve your access to the Bindweed with affecting next year's growth and cropping too much.

small

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2021, 19:27:06 »
Thanks, TeeGee, but all the canes are this year's, I cut everything right back in February. I don't see that leaving these now finished canes another three months does any good? Or would they start to regrow too soon? Does anyone else cut autumn rasps back early?

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2021, 19:52:31 »
What was in my mind let’s say you removed 40%-50% of the total canes to give you better access to the Bindwood I was thinking  the remaining canes would sustain the plant /s until the normal pruning time in February when you would cut down the remaining stems.

However I must say this only an idea in my mind based on what I would do if my canes had become diseased or contaminated in some way!

The choice is your

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2021, 21:24:25 »
Isn't  "Joan j" a primocane type of raspberry?

So the normal method would be to remove all canes close to ground level when fully dormant.  They will regrow in spring and fruit in the autumn.  If cutting the old canes out earlier will help to keep your bed weed free I don't think it will do any harm at all.

If it was a floricane variety things would be different.  Floricane fruiting varieties crop earlier and carry the fruit on last year's canes.  Pruning all the cranes would mean no fruit next year.

If you are 100% sure you are dealing with "Joan j" don't hesitate.

Not mad, just out to mulch!

small

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2021, 22:35:24 »
Thanks Beersmith.
I'm sure they are Joan J, I got them about ten years ago from T&M with a tesco boost voucher - what a bargain! I have a row of summer rasps too, they are all prepped and ready for next year with the new canes tied in and the bindweed mastered!  I think I'll try the big chop on the autumn fruiters, you don't know till you try.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2021, 08:33:43 »
Raspberries and weeding…I’ve given up on my raspberry patch this year, despite totally clearing the area of couch by digging it out and creating a new bed the couch just got a hold overwinter and it was impossible to keep clear and weed properly. Raspberries are shallow rooting so it’s really hard to hand weed tgem lroperly. I’m thinking of trying some summer fruiting varieties in a Nuremberg spot with a frame support overwinter. I’ve only ever grown autumn fruiting raspberries, any recommendations for summer fruiting types?
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

small

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2021, 09:56:48 »
I inherited my summer fruiting canes when we bought next door' garden, they were very old then and barely fruiting, but a good chop back and some TLC and they are soldiering on - no idea of course of their variety.
The rest of my garden is riddled with couch, but the raspberries are free of it, and bindweed comes up really easily though obviously I must leave the odd bit behind! It seems like a minor miracle every year when the canes blossom, though, I do love my raspberries.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal