Author Topic: Leeks am I too late?  (Read 2105 times)

pumkinlover

Leeks am I too late?
« on: September 22, 2021, 18:28:20 »
I sowed a row of leeks in the early summer and they are growing nicely and a variety of sizes.
 Today I started to separate and transplant them. They are well established and much better roots than when I have grown them in pots. I'm just wondering if it's too late?

lezelle

• Acre
Re: Leeks am I too late?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2021, 09:00:26 »
Hi Ya, I have done the same thing and see how they turn out. I will be interested on the out come. Wikk post a photo of transplants when I come back from lottie later. Fingers crossed

Paulh

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2021, 10:16:43 »
When I've got extra after planting out, I often plant them as a bunch in a corner. They grow on, and you end up with some mini leeks with which to impress the cook when there's a stir fry on the menu ...

If I use any of those later to fill in gaps or when more space becomes available after a few weeks, I find that they never really grow on as well as the ones first planted out. Maybe if you can spare them the space they would get going next March or April, but I just get them up and use them by then. Perhaps they would be more likely to send up a flower stalk too?

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2021, 18:22:07 »
Hi, I have done that and still planted them out and got good leeks by April although not as big. Really useful for leeks au gratin...roll in a slice of ham, pour cheese sauce over the top and bake in the oven.  And who knows what size they were when sautéd or in soup... It is better to use them than throw them away now then have to go out and buy some :)

gray1720

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2021, 08:23:30 »
Absolutely! I often use them instead of onions as a base for dishes as they are ready when the onions are long gone, doesn't matter how big they are in a stew.
My garden is smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum!

pumkinlover

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2021, 13:17:32 »
Wonderful, thank you all, I feel hopeful this will work.
Will get some more done this afternoon.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal