General > The Shed

Voting restrictions.

<< < (2/3) > >>

Palustris:
Question. If we go into Postal voting so that my wife with no photo id card can still vote, how are they going to check for 'impersonation' then?

Obelixx:
House of Commons website

”The types of ID required include passports, driving licences, PASS scheme and Blue Badge cards, and some travel passes. People without existing photo ID will be able to apply for a free voter card from their local council to use in the polling station. Research commissioned by the Government found 96% of respondents had suitable photo ID with a recognisable picture.”

When I lived in Belgium I had an ID card which showed my status as an EU but not Belgian citizen.  I had the right to vote in local and EU elections tho not parliamentary.   As a non EU citizen but with the WARP rights to settle in France I have a an ID card too but no voting rights since Brexit.   Such a system could clearly be used in the UK.

There have been cases of voter fraud but it's impossible to determine how much it goes on undetected.  ID cards would make it much more difficult.

Beersmith:

--- Quote from: Palustris on September 11, 2021, 13:33:37 ---Question. If we go into Postal voting so that my wife with no photo id card can still vote, how are they going to check for 'impersonation' then?

--- End quote ---

Well exactly.  A good example of why this is not really about stopping voter fraud.  Features of our voting system that have weaknesses like the postal vote arrangements are ignored.  Instead a big fuss is being made about voting fraud by impersonation which is very rare.

Others have pointed out that some countries have a national ID card and that pretty much prevents any fraud.  It is a valid observation but a national ID card is not what is being proposed.  I would actually support a national ID card system , (same for everyone) but the current government would run a mile from that. They would make a case about personal freedom, state surveillance, government intrusion, not needed for honest citizens,  etc.

One comment that I thought was simply wrong is a claim that there is no way of knowing the actual level of voter fraud by impersonation. Perhaps not exactly, but there are numerous things that are known about the voting system that taken together prove that it is very low.

With work, research and care it might be possible although there is a good chance it would come to light, but one impersonation is just a single vote. To have any effect in an election this process would have to be repeated numerous times. Even in a marginal constituency you'd need hundreds of similar events to make a difference.  Try keeping that hidden. It doesn't happen because to have any influence on an election it would need to be done on a massive scale. You would need an veritable army of impersonators.

If you think voter impersonation is happening in the UK and we need to spend tax payer money to combat that, could I tempt you to buy a device guaranteed to protect you against attack by Lions or Tigers.  Guaranteed anywhere in the UK. Only £100 and for an extra £25 extended coverage against wolves and bears. (Exclusions apply. Not available to circus and zoo employees).

Tee Gee:
Talking of Identity cards, I do believe I still have mine from many years ago.

Added to which, I still have  my indenture card proving I served a 5-year apprenticeship.

The things some people hold onto often defies belief!

Do you think they would still be valid if I need some form of proof to vote :dontknow:

saddad:
I have my original NI Card, issued in 1977, yes it is a piece of card... and in my wallet!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version