General > The Shed

Voting restrictions.

(1/3) > >>

Palustris:
Please sign this petition!  It is against changes which would mean people need to show photo ID in order to vote.

speakout.38degrees.org.uk/campaigns/dont-force-people-to-produce-id-to-vote?

I recommend ticking the no box to say that 38 Degrees can't contact you, if you're not already on their mailing list, because otherwise they send an awful lot of emails.

Beersmith:
This is well worth supporting.  Voting fraud by impersonation is virtually non existent. Having voted in numerous parish, local authority and national elections I have never once tried to cast a vote and been told "you appear to have already voted".  Equally I have never met anyone who has experienced this either.  Returning officers are required to record such cases and inform the police in suspected cases.  A typical constituency has about 70,000 voters and it would be obvious if it was happening on any scale.

But there is another issue that really bothers me. Using tax payer money to set up the systems to issue the cards to those who do not already have suitable ID.  It is going to cost many millions, and it will fall on cash strapped local authorities.  A colossal waste of money fixing a problem that doesn't exist.

I strongly suspect a cabinet minister will turn out to have a family member or friend that has just set up a company to produce such cards and will be awarded a huge contract to print them.  £50 a pop anyone? Printing business cards doesn't come cheap you know.

Tee Gee:
My reason for signing up is;

I was brought up to believe that a person is innocent until proven guilty. This smacks of I am guilty and it is up to me to prove I am innocent.

Paulh:
To put the arguments for the other side (I'm undecided, by the way), voter ID has been required in Northern Ireland for many years and hasn't caused a problem. There have been concerns about voting fraud in local and parliamentary elections in (for instance) Tower Hamlets. And ID is needed for a lot of other things in daily life!

Tee Gee:
Without trying to appear racist I would say anyone born in the UK should not need to show a passport, however people from outside the British Isles domiciled in the UK should.

e.g. A bit like America's Green Card at least until they are granted British Citizenship.

Having said that; I don't know enough as to who the cheats are! So perhaps if I knew, I could give a more informed opinion!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version