Produce > Edible Plants

Rhubarb

(1/2) > >>

terrier:
My Rhubarb is still growing strong, I've never seen my plants produce so much any other year. Is it still OK to eat it. I know a lot of people won't harvest to eat it this late in the year. If its not edible, should I leave the stalks and leaves on the plants to rot down in their own good time or cut them for compost? One more question, I want to move the crowns to a new bed, so when is the best time to do it, thanks.

Obelixx:
After about mid July the stalks are increasingly tough and full of oxalic acid which can cause bad reactions in people who have arthritis or gout, hence the usual advice not to harvest after mid-July.

You need to leave the remaining stalks and leaves until they die down so they can feed the roots to make a better crop next year.  The time to move them is when they've died down in autumn so the roots can recover from the disturbance.   Give them a good rich mulch of well-rotted manure and/or garden compost to protect them over winter and feed them.

In their first season after transplanting, harvest lightly, if at all and don't force them till their second year in situ.

Beersmith:
I think a lot depends on the variety.  I have three sorts, Timperly early, Victoria and Poulton's pride.  At this time of year both the Timperly and the Victoria tend to be a bit tough, though the Victoria is marginally the better of the two.  In my opinion they are also tougher in years when they have thrown a big flowering spike. The Poulton's though is not too bad and is observably more resistant to cold. It also seems to only rarely put up a flowering spike (though that may just be my personal experience). I often get late harvests from the Poulton's that are fine if the outer skin is peeled before cooking.

On the subject of moving Obelixx advice is spot on.

terrier:
Thanks for the answers,guys. I've no idea what type the plants are, they were in the garden when I moved to the house over 25 years ago but I've not had any flowering spikes. I'll let the stalks die down naturely, I'm not all that fond of the stuff and usually give it all away. The new bed will be mainly well rotted 'oss manure and leaf mould mixed with some sandy soil.

gray1720:
Be prepared to have to do a lot of digging to get the things out! I moved one on my allotment as it was trying to take over the path, and it had a root on it as thick as my thigh.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version