Allotment Stuff > The Basics

Sweetcorn

<< < (3/4) > >>

gray1720:

--- Quote from: Tiny Clanger on August 28, 2021, 11:09:33 ---Butternut squash is an amazing size this year - but a fair few of  the pumpkins have managed to cross breed again   :BangHead:

--- End quote ---

Several of my Sweet Dumpling squash have gone two-tone, pale on top and green underneath - I wonder if that's the same thing, but these were sown from packet seed... Might have to have a nibble when I harvest, see if it's bitter....

Beersmith:

--- Quote from: gray1720 on September 28, 2021, 08:48:54 ---
--- Quote from: Tiny Clanger on August 28, 2021, 11:09:33 ---Butternut squash is an amazing size this year - but a fair few of  the pumpkins have managed to cross breed again   :BangHead:

--- End quote ---

Several of my Sweet Dumpling squash have gone two-tone, pale on top and green underneath - I wonder if that's the same thing, but these were sown from packet seed... Might have to have a nibble when I harvest, see if it's bitter....

--- End quote ---

Im finding this issue of squashes, courgettes etc getting cross pollinated confusing.  I thought that it just meant that you could not save seed for the following season because of the possibility the seed could be a cross with some unknown type.  So any cross pollination had no actual effect on this year's squashes, only on the seeds which wouldn't be eaten anyway. 

If a courgette, say, gets pollinated by another type is the fruit different?  I have often grown all the curcubit types - including cucumbers - in one large area, just buying new seeds each season.  Do I need to rethink that approach?

gray1720:
AFAIK the fruit shouldn't be different - I'm just bemused that my sweet dumpling are a variety of shapes, colours and sizes, and I was clutching at straws!

Beersmith:

--- Quote from: gray1720 on September 28, 2021, 22:05:06 ---AFAIK the fruit shouldn't be different - I'm just bemused that my sweet dumpling are a variety of shapes, colours and sizes, and I was clutching at straws!

--- End quote ---

I have had several rants this year about what was shown on the packet not being what actually grew.

Several cases of mixed seeds, where there were obvious variations in what grew including celeriac, mangetout peas and even beetroot.  Out of three types of squash two were fine but one was obviously wrong a very long thin type like a tromboncino, when it should have been a typical dumpy butternut.

Your experience is perhaps not unique.

I wonder if pandemic staff shortages meant that the seed producers could not maintain their usual standards. (Purely speculation on my part).

gray1720:

--- Quote from: Beersmith on September 29, 2021, 21:54:34 ---I have had several rants this year about what was shown on the packet not being what actually grew.

I wonder if pandemic staff shortages meant that the seed producers could not maintain their usual standards. (Purely speculation on my part).

--- End quote ---

Not quite the same thing, but that was pretty much my thought when Kings substituted melon seeds for the onion seeds I ordered!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version