Produce > Edible Plants

Ups and downs of this strange year so far

<< < (2/2)

Obelixx:
Started our harvesting with loads of lovely purple sprouting broccoli which, it seems, is a favourite of the chooks too so had to be netted to keep them out.   Good garlic and shallot harvest, broad beans a bit late to mature but then very quick to start getting too big and a bit floury so all frozen for winter.  I've moved our currants and gooseberries and one blackberry to a well manured bed with a seep hose now and it worked a treat.   First good harvest but poor raspberries in another bed altho those were old, inherited plants we transplanted to a new, well composted bed so they'll probably do better next year.  Strawberries a mix of hit and miss.

Pointy cabbages were lovely till the chooks got in and "sculpted" them to strange shapes so all new brassica plantings now get netted or caged.   OH's bloody Brussels are doing well as are the spring planted broccoli, chard and beets.   Loads of heads on the globe artichokes but I've decided they need to move out and be "ornamental" elsewhere as I don't find the taste is reward enough for all the peeling and choking.   We had our first asparagus spears this year and they were delish.

Don't grow potatoes as they don't get enough rain at the right time and go floury.    Tomatoes are finally starting to ripen and are looking healthy - so far - and chillies are finally producing fruits.  Must do better with labelling next year  as all mine have faded and I have no idea who is what.

Rhubarb in its first year and doing OK but needs moving to a site where I can ensure it retains moisture at its roots.   Love rhubarb and strawberry cobbler.

One courgette plant was smothered by triffid squashes but the remaining one has cropped well enough and we have lots of butternuts, spaghetti, Crown prince and potimarron coming along nicely.  They're at the ned of a long, well manured new bed with a seep hose and I have dahlias at one end, flowering their socks off and then the curcubits with 3 clematis along on the mesh fence side so they can have seeped water too.

Finally, one of the two new pear trees has half a dozen very large pears on it so thrilled about that.   OH eats a Conference pear almost every day but I'm not keen so am hoping our Beurre Hardy and its pal Williams Bon Chrétien will be a happy partnership tho no pears yet on the latter. 

pumkinlover:

--- Quote --- Beurre Hardy and its pal Williams Bon Chrétien
--- End quote ---

I had a beurre hardy but when next door got rid of the ancient pear tree it presumably lost it's pollinator and never fruited again, so it went to make logs. When it produced the fruit were lovely but had a ready to eat span of about half a day. Get it right and they were delicious, a few days later and pappy.  It's worth it when good though.

Obelixx:
Thanks Pumpkinlover.  These will be checked every couple of days and pounced on when ripe.   I'm looking forward to a nice juicy pear.  Never did like Conference.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version