Author Topic: Tough skinned courgettes.  (Read 1893 times)

George the Pigman

• Hectare
  • Birmingham, neutral clay soil
Tough skinned courgettes.
« on: August 17, 2021, 12:44:36 »
This year I grew a yellow courgette called Atena. It grew well and has produced lots of courgettes but the skins on them are thick and tough. Even a 6 inch courgette needs peeling before cooking. Previously only when they got very large did I have this sort of problem.
Any ideas as to the cause. Anyone grown this variety before.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: Tough skinned courgettes.
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2021, 12:56:35 »
Could be variety.  I grow Gold Rush - or un-named but yellow skinned variety sold here in spring - and have never had hard skins unless I miss one and it gets beyond zeppelin stage.

Obxx - Vendée France

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2021, 13:11:24 »
Some pale varieties like Fruhliana (?) have thicker and even warty skins... but compensate with denser flesh.

Paulh

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2021, 14:18:28 »
Atena / Atena Polka has been my yellow courgette variety of choice for some years. I find it reliable to germinate and grow and it produces many fruit over a long season. I wouldn't say the skins were tougher than the other varieties I grow, certainly not as tough as a marrow, but I'd generally be aiming to pick them by 6" long for steaming as vegetables. Any longer than that would be roasted in chunks or used for soup or ratatouille.

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2021, 13:14:41 »
I grow Atena, and the yellow ball type too. I find it best to harvest at around 6"/15cm the skins are easier then
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2021, 16:32:11 »
My guess is it the global warming issue again which is knocking the growing seasons out of kilter IMHO

I would say the toughness is down to watering or lack there off!

I see it as a similar situation to blossom end rot, which is also down to watering or lack there off!

Furthermore, I am finding I have to water a bit more scientifically than I did in the past.

In the past, I generally could tell if plants needed watering by how their leaves hung/lay.

Now that I now do a lot more containerised gardening, I can't judge the situation as well!

I have bought myself a combination moisture/light/Ph meter to help me decide!

With many of the 'modern' composts I find that the compost surface looks to be dry, so I water, where in fact I find my compost can be quite wet, and if I am not careful the compost can become saturated to the point it 'drowns' the plant because the saturated moisture prevents air getting to the root system!

But as I said this is OMHO

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal