Produce > Edible Plants

Growing Melons

<< < (4/4)

Paulh:
I don't think you are much out of line with the rest of us, Beersmith. I guess we all have a core of reliable, tasty and (one hopes) indestructible favourites. Some of us just tinker round the edges a bit more! I try to grow one or two new things each year, but when the seed packet is empty, it has to have been worthwhile enough for me to buy them again.

Broad beans may well be for the chop for me next season, despite being a favourite vegetable. I'm tired of poor germination, blackfly and rust, and a sparse harvest. I think that fails your tests! But there are often other plotholders' spare seedlings going, so may be I'll try those ...

You are right about Florence fennel. I also sow it late (last part of June). We (i.e., my wife!) slice the bulbs, parboil them and bake them in a cheese sauce. I have 30 plantlets in the greenhouse waiting to be set out. I've now got the space but not yet the time. I suspect they will now bolt as soon as they taste freedom.

chriscross1966:
Emir and Eldonis have worked well for me in the greenhouse, think it's Eldonis I have in there this year. generally get 2 decently sized melons per plant, occasionally will get a third . smaller one. Treat in the same way as a cucumber for the most part, though the fruits do need pollinating so if it's hot when it's in flower you'd be advised to hand pollinate. Don't get stressed about some form of test for ripeness.... if there's a ripe melon in a greenhouse you won't be able to smell much else :-) . I have grown Outdoor Wonder outside adn had some fair results, they need protecting from the wind for the most part and they need room to trail. if we get a bad year you have to resign yourself to not getting any as they won't ripen before the frosts, in a good year (and melons are very much feast or famine) then you will spend half of August, all of September adn most of October eating melons and TBF, you'll likely be bored of them by the end.....

BarriedaleNick:
Melons in season here are almost free as they are so prolific.  I had a few nice ones but as mentioned above after the first few the novelty wears off and you are left wondering what to do with them.  We even made some melon vodka which smells lovely.
My favourite variety is the Toad Skin Melon or Piel de Sapo.. and we have grown a few small ones here.  Greedy plants though and as my soil is a bit knackered they didn't get very big..
One thing we do have success with is the Horned Melon which is actually a type of cucumber.  Not very interesting to eat but great looking and they are hugely expensive in the shop at 8€ a kilo.. This time next year I'll be a millionaire!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version