Author Topic: Squirrel problem….  (Read 5424 times)

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
Squirrel problem….
« on: August 05, 2021, 15:32:27 »
Not a pet , more of a pest!

Earlier this year I watched two baby squirrels bound across my fence chasing each other around, how sweet. Then they started raiding the bird feeders, performing acrobatics to nick food. Ok, expect a bit of wastage.
Then they started on my plants…..NOT BLOOMING FUNNY! One came right up the the pot of lilies underneath our window  just coming into bud, bit the complete closed bud and sat eating it on top of the fence while I raged at it through the window……less funny and cute now.

Today I was treated to the sight of a squirrel moving about in a big pot of red dahlias in full bloom; I watched as he ran off up a tree with a whole red dahlia head in his mouth! I could understating eating the tubers, but a whole flower???????🥴🙄😳
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Squirrel problem….
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2021, 08:32:21 »
Tree rats... not seen them eating blooms, but have to use upturned hanging baskets to stop them digging out bulbs from tubs.

IanDH

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2021, 13:20:28 »
Agree with tree rats.

At the moment they are taking apples and pears off the trees, taking 1 bite, realising they are not ripe and throwing away.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2021, 19:13:57 »
Tree rats... not seen them eating blooms, but have to use upturned hanging baskets to stop them digging out bulbs from tubs.

Yes I had that too, even when I cut wire mesh to cover my tulip bulbs overwinter the lithe sods…..
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

gray1720

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2021, 20:21:36 »
If you can catch the little sods, they are quite tasty with a stronger flavour than wabbit, quite like pork so any rabbit or pork recipe will work. However, there ain't a lot of meat - it's very much one per person!
My garden is smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal