Produce > Edible Plants

Tenderstem broccoli

(1/3) > >>

pumkinlover:
This seems to available in the shops and was very nice when we had some recently. What's it like to grow? I was wondering if it stands longer and better than normal broccoli?

Another question, it appears that tenderstem broccoli is a cross between chinese kale and broccoli. Seeds of Italy sell "cima di rapa"  which looks similar but I don't know if the taste is similar?

Anyone tried both and can compare?

Obelixx:
Have never seen tender stemmed broccoli here but I do grow purple sprouting which, I assume, has similar properties.

Easy to sow, easy to prick out and grow - if you can keep the chooks off! - and there are now tow kinds for sowing at different times for cropping at different times.   The one I have will start cropping late winetr and into spring so it covers the "hungry gap".

Paulh:
I used to grow it / Brokali "Apollo" but found it succumbed too easily to club root. It crops summer into autumn, so there are other greens to grow around then as well, and I decided I would not continue with it. It needs about 2' spacing and grows about the same tall, so it's more compact than broccoli. It cropped heavily when it worked and was tasty.

pumkinlover:

--- Quote from: Obelixx on August 04, 2021, 19:09:27 ---Have never seen tender stemmed broccoli here but I do grow purple sprouting which, I assume, has similar properties.

Easy to sow, easy to prick out and grow - if you can keep the chooks off! - and there are now tow kinds for sowing at different times for cropping at different times.   The one I have will start cropping late winetr and into spring so it covers the "hungry gap".

--- End quote ---

My chooks don't get anywhere near the plot! I do find PSP okay for the first few pickings then can't keep up!

Obelixx:
My veg plot is a former donkey paddock - 29m x 25m - and fenced and also had a donkey shed in it so I converted that shed to a hen house and built a pen round it.   They were fine in there for the first few weeks after adoption but then grew fitter and more confident and we let them out into the veg plot and also the polytunnel which is dry for them in winter.

We are learning to use insect netting on hoops to protect crops after "training" the hens to like cabbages.  A friend suggested I hang whole cabbages up for them to peck at and thus improve their neck muscles.   Now they have a taste for all things brassica and lettuce too!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version