Allotment Stuff > The Basics

anyone have red tomatoes?

<< < (5/6) > >>

BarriedaleNick:
Yes and yes!  There is a canning factory a few miles away and they are all going to be canned - every last one.  Sometimes the lorries ooze juice which contributes to the road hazard.  Yesterday on my ride I must have seen at least 30 of these lorries, the amount of toms here is staggering.

pumkinlover:
I never expected them to ramble about like that, just my UK assumption that they are trained like ours. Well actually sort of trained, they have a mind of their own.

BarriedaleNick:
They are all determinate varieties which are bred specifically for growing in this style and for pasting.  They plant them in rows about 3-4ft apart but they are spaced about 4 inches apart so they sort of form a long bush that supports itself.  When it harvest time they die back little and collapse a bit like in the pic.  There is no way they could train indeterminate varieties as there are thousands of acres of the things..

gray1720:

--- Quote from: pumpkinlover on August 07, 2021, 13:25:16 ---I never expected them to ramble about like that, just my UK assumption that they are trained like ours. Well actually sort of trained, they have a mind of their own.

--- End quote ---

Gods, yes, my greenhouse is like Day of the Triffids!

BarriedaleNick:
This is the corner near my house on the way to the cannery!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version