Allotment Stuff > The Basics

anyone have red tomatoes?

<< < (3/6) > >>

pumkinlover:

--- Quote ---It actually becomes a road hazard when it get in full swing as there as squashed toms everywhere and cars have been know to slide off the road.
--- End quote ---

Different to skidding on ice here!

Beersmith:
Been picking Sungold for about three weeks now.  Slowly at first but now cropping heavily.  Got a couple of plum types ready today.

It's always a bit happen chance, when they were sown, spring weather, cold snaps, local environment.  The short heatwave a while back gave mine a big boost. 

ACE:
Strange occurrence with a couple of mine. Knocked a sprig off with a few light green fruits on. Put them on the potting shed  bench which has a window over, 3 days later I noticed they were red ripe. Tasty enough to eat but the skins were a bit thick like shop bought ones. There was on old apple also on the bench. I don't know if there is a ripening 'gene' like bananas in an apple but I might just try it again.

saddad:
I remember the first time I saw "Tomato road hazard"... following lorries shedding them in Turkey in the mid 80's...

Beersmith:

--- Quote from: ACE on August 04, 2021, 07:58:16 ---I don't know if there is a ripening 'gene' like bananas in an apple but I might just try it again.

--- End quote ---

I think ripening of many fruits generates ethylene gas and the gas also promotes ripening.  Bananas are often reported to generate most ethylene so adding a ripe banana to a bowl of green tomatoes should produce rapid ripening.

Well in theory. I've never actually tried it, but your experiences suggests that it might work.  Certainly an idea to keep in mind for the autumn when ripening slows down, and we have made enough green tomato chutney to last a lifetime!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version