Author Topic: Gooseberries vanishing -not pigeons  (Read 2105 times)

davholla

• Hectare
Gooseberries vanishing -not pigeons
« on: July 24, 2021, 20:23:27 »
When I netted my bushes they all had lots of berries but some when I removed the netting had none.
Any ideas why?  It couldn't have been birds - not unless they can take the netting off and put it back on again.

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
Re: Gooseberries vanishing -not pigeons
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2021, 16:06:16 »
This sounds like a case for Sherlock Holmes.

If you checked the ground to make sure they were not knocked off by wind, rainfall or hail, not impossible given the absolutely torrential weather events seen over the past few weeks, then logically all that remains is pests. 

The most likely candidates being two legged.  Pigeons can perch on nets and cause a surprising amount of damage even when crops are covered. And if you are not careful can sometimes get underneath if the nets are loose. But destructive as they are, the ability to remove nets, pick fruit and then put the net back may be beyond them.

I'd suspect other two legged pests, which is also very very sad. 

Not mad, just out to mulch!

daveyboi

• Hectare
  • Have fun enjoy your allotment
    • Daveyboi's Blog and personal website
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2021, 21:58:45 »
I have seen squirrels eating mine on the odd occasion
Daveyboi
Near Haywards Heath Southern U.K.

Visit My Blog if you would like to

davholla

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2021, 10:01:28 »
This sounds like a case for Sherlock Holmes.

If you checked the ground to make sure they were not knocked off by wind, rainfall or hail, not impossible given the absolutely torrential weather events seen over the past few weeks, then logically all that remains is pests. 

The most likely candidates being two legged.  Pigeons can perch on nets and cause a surprising amount of damage even when crops are covered. And if you are not careful can sometimes get underneath if the nets are loose. But destructive as they are, the ability to remove nets, pick fruit and then put the net back may be beyond them.

I'd suspect other two legged pests, which is also very very sad.
I don't think it could be people either, my wife tied the nets on and it was a real pain to remove them - to find no gooseberries.  There are neighbouring plots which would have been much easier to steal from.  Also some bushes were fine!

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2021, 14:50:01 »
That just leaves sneaky rodents then.
Obxx - Vendée France

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal