Author Topic: THE MOST MOREISH RECIPES FOR COURGETTES  (Read 6042 times)

ACE

• Hectare
THE MOST MOREISH RECIPES FOR COURGETTES
« on: July 24, 2021, 18:23:19 »
Who has got recipes for courgettes, that are so tasty that you come back for more. I like them anyway they are done, but in a weeks time I shall be experimenting with them. I use them as part of my type 2 diet so any high carb additions to the recipe is out. This week it has been saute in garlic and olive oil, chopped mushrooms, peppers, chilli and chorizo. Then glazed in balsamic really hot until it gets sticky. Lovely just on it's own.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: THE MOST MOREISH RECIPES FOR COURGETTES
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2021, 18:52:59 »
I have a recipe for twice baked courgette soufflé if you can be bothered.  It is delicious and not complicated.

I also like them simply sliced and layered in a shallow oven proof dish that has been buttered then s&p and a layer of grated cheddar.   Bake at 180C till the cheese is bubbling and brown.     Courgette fritters made with chick pea/gram flour and a teaspoon of baking powder are good too and no carbs.  I sometimes add sweetcorn for a change in texture and added fibre.

I made a courgette soda bread last week and it was very good but I used plain wholemeal flour and a sachet of baking powder plus the soda -
https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/courgette-cheddar-soda-bread    I've frozen half of the loaf and we'll be having it toasted with courgette soup for lunch on Monday.

Obxx - Vendée France

Paulh

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2021, 21:23:35 »
A friend cooks "courgettes Milano" which is great cold at picnics.

The recipe she gave to us is:

"2 Tbsp olive oil
1 lb courgette washed, topped and tailed and cut into half inch slices
6 spring onions, washed, topped and tailed and roughly chopped
1 clove of garlic crushed
Half teaspoon dried basil
Pinch of Paprika pepper
4 tomatoes, skinned and chopped (or tin of chopped tomatoes)
1 Tbsp tomato puree
1 bay leaf
2 Tbsp white wine
Salt and pepper

Heat oil, add courgettes, spring onions and garlic and cook for 3 mins.  Stir in remaining ingredients with seasoning to taste.  Bring to boil, then cover and reduce heat to simmer for 15 mins."

That's nice enough, my wife loves it, but I think it's nothing like what our friend actually cooks which is light on tomatoes!

If you search for "courgettes Milano" or "zucchini Milano", the internet will give you several very different recipes!

Let us know if you find a winner.

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2021, 22:36:14 »
https://thedoctorskitchen.com/recipes/pikt-box-3-courgette-gazpacho

How about this for lunch on a hot summer's day Ace?

Tricia  :wave:

gray1720

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2021, 22:52:19 »
Hmmm.... sounds like Ace has hit the annual Zeppelin glut!

As have I - harvested three courgettes and five Zeppelins today...
My garden is smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2021, 15:31:20 »
Here's a good one, just made it, kedgeree canoes, covered in cheese with a final finish under the grill.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2021, 15:38:06 »
We had vegetarian courgette curry and naans for dinner last night and I turned a junior zeppelin into fritters for lunch. 

I have a yen for a proper kedgeree now.
Obxx - Vendée France

Paulh

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2021, 09:38:12 »
From the Guardian, Meera Sodha’s vegan recipe for courgette and chickpea dal. Very simple, but the chickpeas needed longer to cook than the recipe suggests, I made it to accompany last night's prawn curry.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2021, 19:57:09 »
Here you go Ace.  50+ recipes for courgettes on BBC Good Food - https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/collection/courgette-recipes
Obxx - Vendée France

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2021, 09:11:42 »
Only 50, no where near enough. Take out all the pastry bases don't leave you a lot. At the moment any of our regular low carb dishes are plonked into canoes, gets rid of them without having to post them through the neighbour's letterboxes.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2021, 18:33:57 »
I’m a fan of making courgette spaghetti, my son bought me a fancy little veg spiraliser and although not a fan of gadgets I use it regularly and it spiralises any veg in seconds. A couple of big courgettes makes a quick meal that cooks in minutes, bung in some prawns, tomato sauce and top with cheese…yum.
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2021, 14:39:23 »
Gluts of veg will always risk blandness - but new ideas are always more labour-intensive. After a few 'specials' (and after a hard days work) it's easier to fall back on ratatouille or capenata with minor variations (eg. the amount of tomatoes).

I find it's easier to liven up any or all these bland meals with fresh but mild/medium chillies diced or shredded to ~2mm and sprinkled onto the plated meal at the last minute.

My favourite raw chilli (especially for courgette-dominated dishes) is Bulgarian Teardrop at the lime green stage - it has citrus notes like Lemon Drop but moreso, especially as there is 10x less heat to compete with the pungently citrusy zest (with hints of under-ripe guava). 

On a different tack, green manzano/rocoto/locoto peppers (C.pubescens) are very, very different from the ripe ones, IMHO the difference is much greater than in any other chilli.  If they are put in early (after the onions) they meld through the dish & give a mild comforting deep heat that really fills out the flavour (a 30min stew tastes like a dessertspoon of peppercorns has been in there for about 8 hours) - they do this so well that it's like a secret weapon for any favourite recipes that might be moving towards boring - even meat-based ones like spag bog and shepherds pie etc.etc.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2021, 18:07:39 »
Had a rest from them today, had a pattypan instead.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2021, 19:18:25 »
Veg., spaghetti are our bete noir at the moment!

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2021, 20:15:24 »
Veg spaghetti is only good IMHO if the veggies are raw and served as a salad with an interesting dressing.

I like courgettes in a vegetable tagine or a curry as long as they've been cut and salted then rinsed and dried and cooked for just a few minutes in a well flavoured sauce.
Obxx - Vendée France

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2021, 07:50:09 »
Hadn't thought of using it raw.... might give that a go at lunch as I have half left over from yesterday...

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2021, 08:05:57 »
Half left over? never seen that before, but I dropped a bit one day and the pup we should have called Dyson scooped it up and ate it, the others looked up for their bit so I dropped a couple more bits and they were eaten as well, so no halves here. Today more canoes but a made up dish with some cheap sandwich beef off cuts, (don't be tempted in Aldi, it aint nice.) Mixed with some re-fried beans and Cajun seasoning should make it edible.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2021, 08:19:39 »
I think I'd give ropey beef to Dyson and co.
Obxx - Vendée France

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2021, 17:02:12 »
Ace, I have used this recipe for years, posted by Mrs Frog in 2004 and I agree with her, nobody dislikes it!  I make it with courgettes too!

Re:marrow glut
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2004, 21:07:15 »

I have 3 kiddies who make it their lives ambition not to eat veg, but they love this recipe, it's also good for a vegetarian....

Cheesy marrow:

1 marrow
about 3oz butter
finely chopped onion
squished clove garlic (or two, depending on taste)
1 chopped green pepper
8 oz skinned and chopped tomatoes
6 oz mature cheddar, grated, with a bit of mozzarella if you've got it

Peel marrow, slice, de-seed and cut into cubes
Fry in butter until golden
Move it to a plate, leaving as much juices in the pan as poss
Add onion, garlic and pepper to pan, fry until pale goldy colour,
Add marrow and tomatoes, mix well
Put half in an ovenproof dish, cover with cheese
Put other half of marrow mix on top, add rest of cheese
Bake in oven approx 200 C until brown on top, takes about 30 mins

Absolutely delicious!!!!

We have it with a roast, haven't found a person yet who doesn't like it!!

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2021, 07:46:27 »
The BBC Food site is featuring courgettes today.  Lots of recipes for pies and pasta but this is one is carb free - https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/courgette_gratin_04270 and this looks fresh - https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/chargrilledcourgette_85172 
Obxx - Vendée France

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal