Author Topic: Malabar Spinach  (Read 2408 times)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Malabar Spinach
« on: July 20, 2021, 13:46:59 »
Afternoon all... has anyone tried this?

A lovely Bangladeshi couple on our lotties are growing this and I recognised it from Veg books, they gave me some seeds and I now have 15 small seedlings with four true leaves which I want to plant up in a large "cold" greenhouse... as I suspected it is actually a perennial if I put it in the border is it likely to over winter? (I have some more seeds so am only worried it might and "take over")

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/vegetables/malabar-spinach/growing-malabar-spinach.htm
Liked this site but would like to know if anyone has grown it...
 :wave:

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
Re: Malabar Spinach
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2021, 12:36:21 »
But answer came there none.

And it's a no from me.  With the odd exception, I have not had much success with things that do best in hotter conditions, so tend to lag behind the trend setters. But I'd be interested to hear how things go. I have a weakness for trying new things! It is a rare season when I don't have a go at some novelty.

Not mad, just out to mulch!

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2021, 17:04:23 »
Always on the look out to try something new... did Paracress once!

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2021, 17:26:16 »
It does look very interesting and I could probably get away with it, temperature, but as it needs moisture too I shall have to pass and make do with teh green bits of Swiss chard when I need something spinachy.

I find straight spinach very unpleasant - mouth feel, not taste - unless it's in a really good bhaji.
Obxx - Vendée France

Beersmith

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2021, 19:57:22 »
Always on the look out to try something new... did Paracress once!

I've tried many novelties.  Cucamelon, asparagus peas, salsify, scorzonera, tomatillo and many more.  Laugh if you wish.  But the upside is that a few are real finds.  I no longer think of physalis / Inca berries or my kiwi vine as unusual or exotic. Just delicious.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2021, 20:12:14 »
Cucamelons, asparagus peas and Chinese artichokes are definitely a waste of time and space.

I like salsify but have never grown it.  Expect tomatillo would do well here.  Are they good?
Obxx - Vendée France

Beersmith

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2021, 21:39:46 »
I like the flavour of salsify, but for me it triggers horrible flatulence.  Really really horrible flatulence.

Tomatillo is very very good for making true Salsa Verde but that is about it. I've never really found any other appetising way to serve it.  So a bit limited, but perhaps worth it if you are a big fan of Mexican food.

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2021, 09:06:17 »
Salsify is best treated as an invasive ornamental... lovely flowers that open in sunshine, ornamental seed heads like very large dandelion clocks and the same habit... grew it about ten years ago and now almost everyone of our 175 plots has some!

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2021, 15:28:52 »
Tomatillos do make a lovely salsa but I find that add a nice touch to a curry too esp a veg one.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2021, 16:59:13 »
Thanks.  I'll give them a go next year then.

Beersmith - we have such a high fibre diet with all the fruit and veg and pulses and wholemeal pasta that salsify don't bother us on the few occasions I see them here and I can even eat fartichokes with impunity, unlike some friends to whom I fed a fartichoke dauphinoise a few years ago as part of a dinner.   Apparently one couple was up all night with very painful wind and thought I'd poisoned them.
Obxx - Vendée France

Beersmith

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2021, 00:08:52 »
Apparently one couple was up all night with very painful wind and thought I'd poisoned them.

I should not laugh but could not really help myself!!

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2021, 08:34:17 »
I did too Beersmith and no guilt cos the male of the species was one of those know it all opinionated better than anyone else types.
Obxx - Vendée France

Paulh

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2021, 13:41:40 »
I did too Beersmith and no guilt cos the male of the species was one of those know it all opinionated better than anyone else types.

You mean a man?

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2021, 14:31:30 »
No.  Men are manly.  This was a male PITA but I liked his wife and there were 12 of us so he was diluted.
Obxx - Vendée France

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal