Produce > Edible Plants

Garlic

<< < (2/3) > >>

Tee Gee:
I have only had white rot once and it was after a particularly hot spell.
On seeing the comments above I have been theorising and come up with this thought;

When onions swell they form a sort of basin/pan below them and if you water your onions quite often this basin/ pan remains quite moist relative to the soil around it.

Meaning the base of the owning is cooking( boiling) due to the hot weather and it is this action that initially causes the base of the onion/s to soften making them more susceptible to disease.

One of my pet hates is watering and the lack of this on my plots may have helped in keeping me free of white rot

We have certainly been getting spells of very hot water in the last few years at the time the opinions are swelling is a reason or just a coincidence?

Over to you...........

gray1720:
Unfortunately for the theory, I get white rot, and I water as little as possible (living three miles away, working full time and having a home garden too, I just can't water everything every day - especially as we have to pump water up from wells) - I water the planting hole, plant, water in, and then it has to get on with it. Mind you, this year, it's either been too wet or too dry, too hot or too cold, and my poor onions that looked so good when I put them out now mostly look brown bread... and the least said about the garlic the better.

Plot22:
I have heard of Tee Gee's theory before as I have said on a previous post I have grown my onions in the same bed white rot free for the past 2 years. I have not watered for some weeks now irrespective of the weather and touch wood they are looking ok. It maybe that I am mainly growing Golden Bear which I had white free success with last year or maybe it is the watering theory but rain is forecast for most of next week which is fine for most crops but perhaps not so fine for my onions. I will try to post the results when I harvest them.

Tiny Clanger:
Onions not doing to badly this year in a new part of the plot. I rarely water album of any type - garlic not at all, I planted October last year. My daughter claims nearly all my garlic (when I have any to harvest),as we don't eat it - makes me quite ill, but she did not care for the flavour of the elephant I grew  last season.

Things not looking too bad on our plot. May even have some red onions to show for my efforts. Now, if I can just get my husband to learn what is a courgette to pick and what is a harlequin squash  to let be a while..... :happy7:

Beersmith:
Today I lifted most of my main crop onions before the predicted rain arrived.

Although there was still plenty of green top on most of them the roots were weak. They lifted with only a very gentle tug.  The bases were sound and dry.  Not a single one showed any decay or mould at the base.

I'm getting more and more convinced that TeeGee has the correct idea and that at this time of year leaving them to sit in warm wet soil is the wrong approach.  It is easy to think they could fatten a bit more, but with the roots so fragile I doubt they could be drawing up much moisture or nutrition.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version