Author Topic: My old allotment  (Read 5022 times)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
My old allotment
« on: July 02, 2021, 20:45:51 »
I was passing the road end to where my allotment was and thought I would call in and see how things were after 2½ years, and this is how my old plot looked today.

When I got home I went through my photos from previous years for pictures taken from a similar spot and this is how they compared;

Word has it that he has spent in the region of around £10k and I can believe it, e.g. what would a 20ft x 8ft aluminium greenhouse cost today. Add to that, he has replaced the glass in my old 12ftx8ft greenhouse with polycarbonate sheeting.

All the beds have been raised and filled to a height of 1½ft. Then there are the walk-in fleece cloches!

I could go on and mention  more,  for example he drives to the site in a Lamborghini

Good luck to him, I say!

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: My old allotment
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2021, 21:39:31 »
Well Tee Gee, at least all your hard work tilling the soil and keeping it n good state and weed free hasn't been left to go to ruin. 

I rather like his fancy, sturdy system of hoops for polythene and insect netting to warm up the soil and keep off pests.  Never seen anything like it here tho we do have a  good hoop and net system for keeping bugs (and chooks) off brassicas.

I have never understood the appeal of lamborginis and their ilk.  I like a proper car that cruises well on the motorway but also has the space and height to carry home plants such as clematis or roses or shrubs and small trees as well as trays of plug plants and big bags of compost.   Also need room for the dogs when we take them out for walkies.  Lamborgini no good at all. 
Obxx - Vendée France

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2021, 21:45:44 »
It takes all sorts.

I've known plot holders who begrudge spending a penny, delay paying the rent until the last possible moment, and always on the scrounge for spare produce, plants, tools, and pretty much anything that is not nailed down. But if someone enjoys a hobby and is happy to spend money on their chosen recreation then I agree with you and say good luck to them. You have the consolation that your old plot is well tended and being enjoyed. Far better than being neglected.
Not mad, just out to mulch!

Beersmith

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2021, 22:00:27 »
Lamborgini no good at all.

I don't own a Lamborghini or a greenhouse but given the opportunity I'd go for the greenhouse every time!

gray1720

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2021, 22:50:04 »
How do you get a wheelbarrow in the back of a Lambo, I wonder?

...unless it's one of these: https://www.lamborghini-tractors.com/en-eu/
My garden is smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum!

Paulh

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2021, 23:20:21 »
Well it's better than finding it's all thistles and bindweed!

I use similar metal hoops, netting, mulch sheets to have half a chance of keeping on top of weeds and pests but not £10,000 worth!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2021, 08:00:45 »
I would have been worried to go back, in case it had gone to wrack and ruin... too many great plots degenerate when they change hands... throwing money at it is no substitute but at least he seems to be putting in the work as well.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2021, 17:25:21 »
I don’t get the appeal of a Lamborghini…….not much use it you can’t cram it full of fruit trees as I’ve had to do before now! 😂
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Beersmith

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2021, 12:58:03 »
During a moment of idle reflection I began to ponder what I had spent on my plots over the years. I'm pretty sure it is nowhere near£10k but I am equally sure it is not a tiny sum either.

For a start not long after taking on my first plot the shed I inherited was rotten and had reached the end of its working life. A well constructed replacement of a reasonable size was £400 plus. Then a base and several tins of good preservative on top.  I've had to replace spades, forks and hoes, and handtools on a regular basis. I have paid out for water butts, a large sturdy fruit cage, and in total a very large number of trees and fruit bushes.  If you want a particular variety on preferred root stock they can be pricey even for young bare rooted tree. Then hoops, nets, covers and cloches, and a regular delivery of manure.  It creeps up without really being aware of the total.  I nearly forgot tulip bulbs, dahlias, peonies, etc.

I don't think I'm in any way exceptional and I would not change a thing, but maybe £10k is not quite as extreme as it first appears, especially if you also have a greenhouse or a polytunnel.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2022, 22:40:58 »
I think it is great that it is still well tended.  Looks like he appreciated all your hard work.

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2022, 12:49:07 »
Good luck to the bloke.  But I reckon he inherited a good plot and has stood on a giant's shoulders.  How will he manage to carry a few bags of horse muck in the motor?  Perhaps, if hes spent that kind of gelt, he could have purchased a home with a couple of acres he could use.  Nice to think that an old plot is cared for though.  Not at our site.  we've had a few old friends pass on over the last couple of years and their plots look very sad now .
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal