Author Topic: Apple tree curling leaves - what to do?  (Read 3647 times)

newspud9

• Half Acre
Apple tree curling leaves - what to do?
« on: June 24, 2021, 19:44:32 »
My 8 year old dwarf James Grieve apple tree has a decent amount of half-inch greens showing but a number of leaves have started to curl.  A quick internet trawl suggests this may be down to the aptly named "apple leaf curling midge".  Anyone else seeing same? Suggestions on what to do would be much appreciated. 

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
Re: Apple tree curling leaves - what to do?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2021, 22:41:23 »
I would suggest you look at the curled leaves using a good magnifying glass. Various types of aphid can give rise to a similar effect, and you will probably be able to see more clearly what is happening. It will make any internet search much easier. 

If you can get a magnification lens for a phone or camera try a picture and post it here.  There are plenty of knowledgeable people here, but on its own "leaf curl" is too broad a description for an exact diagnosis. I have some leaf curl on one apple tree but I have checked and in my case it is aphids.
Not mad, just out to mulch!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2021, 08:15:33 »
New shoots on most fruit trees are often attacked by aphids... nice soft material to get their teeth into... if it is particularly unsightly snip the ends back, otherwise leave it to the good guys to clear up.

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2022, 23:09:10 »
This season I have had a lot of success in avoiding aphid attack on the tender young growth on fruit trees and bushes.  No spraying involved either.  That said it wasn't strictly an organic approach.  Around my fruit trees and fruit cage area I diligently searched out and eliminated ants nests.

It was so successful I thought it worth mentioning. Ants can be beneficial is some circumstances and I made no attempt to remove them from other parts of my plot. But preventing them "farming" aphids on tender shoots made a big big difference.
Not mad, just out to mulch!

IanDH

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2022, 13:49:27 »
There with Beersmith - made a deliberate attempt to reduce ants.  Has reduced the blackfly on blackcurrents significantly from last year.  Has reduced the farming, but has also given natural predator's an increased impact as the aphids are not protected by ants as much.

Have nipped out a number of the new growing shoots as these are the ones that the aphids are after and will be pruning out 2/3rds at the end of the season anyway.

More limited success with the fruit trees.  Have combined with horticultural soap (various recipes on internet) which has helped.  Just need to keep up with reducing ant presence.

Have been looking at chrysanthemums and pest control as an option for the future.  https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/flowers/chrysanthemum/chrysanthemum-pest-control.htm
« Last Edit: May 26, 2022, 13:51:03 by IanDH »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal