Author Topic: Monsoon season  (Read 3896 times)

ACE

• Hectare
Monsoon season
« on: June 21, 2021, 11:27:31 »
Some call it biblical, which is usually wetter than normal, Coming up to a week of wet stuff now, so it can stop now if it wants to. This would have been the usual time for the Isle of Wight festival and everybody would be up to their armpits in mud, postponed this year to September which will be even wetter. Too wet for gardening and even too wet to sit on the beach and catch some mackerel for tea. Come on sunshine . it's midsummer.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Monsoon season
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2021, 12:13:19 »
Hope it moves up here, Ace. My garden is suffering from desert conditions rather than rain forest conditions! :glasses9:

gray1720

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2021, 17:01:47 »
It's wetter than an otter's pocket here near the cattle crossing! RAF Benson has already had 50mm of rain this month, and I'm woeing that I haven't got my butts set back up yet (it's a long story - suffice to say that something else is in the space at the mo) because if I had the lot full I'd have 1000L to play with.
My garden is smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum!

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2021, 17:18:01 »
I had the lot full I'd have 1000L to play with.

Sounds like there has been Water, water everywhere, but not a drop for my plants to drink.

The old water meter has spun around at a fair rate of knots this year!

A brood of young Sparrows have decimated the succulent leaves of my Mesembryanthemums, so I am expecting nothing like this this year!

cudsey

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2021, 19:34:42 »
Well I am in Barnsley not far from Tee Gee we have hardly any rain just a bit overnight at the weekend I got the hose out on my allotment this morning as wanted to save whats in the water butts I expect when it does reach here it wont know when to stop just want the sun to ripen the strawberries 
Barnsley S Yorks

gray1720

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2021, 21:20:15 »
It's a very odd distribution of rainfall at the mo - my Mum has all her rainwater collectors full (probably closer to 2000L) in Essex, which is the dryest county in the UK (St Osyth - 20 inches of rain a year, official threshold for desert 10 inches), yet Embra and Aberdeen have had 6mm of rain all month, normally that's a normal day's rainfall!

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2021, 23:58:49 »
It was raining steadily when I woke up here in South Devon so I went back to bed and dozed off again. It was still raining when I eventually got up and continued all morning,  gradually easing to little more than a drizzle during the afternoon. I haven't been out to check, but I'm sure my six water butts are now filled to overflowing! :icon_cheers:.

Need a dry day tomorrow to go grocery shopping on my scooter and on Wednesday have to get myself to Newton Abbot race course for a PCR covid test before finally, after months of waiting, getting a fluoroscopic guided injection into my poor arthritic right hand on Friday at Torbay hospital.

Tricia  :wave:

pumkinlover

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2021, 07:52:07 »
Hope that goes well for you Tricia

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2021, 08:53:46 »
My Livingstone daisies never achieve a display like that TeeGee, but glad I'm not the only one who has to protect the leaves from the sparrows while the plants get established!

gray1720

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2021, 15:23:43 »
Flippin' Nora! The Met Office reckon it will get down to 6C tonight here - and the Beeb reckon a degree colder!

Have to get all my outdoor toms back in for the night... bit late for the runners, unless I dig the wigwam up and get it inside too.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2021, 17:45:57 »
I remember at this time of year we talked in terms of "Typical Summer Weather" or "Typical British Weather"what term do you think we should use now?

gray1720

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2021, 22:09:19 »
Typically shite weather?

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2021, 07:35:36 »
They say the earth has a bit of a wobble when spinning. I reckon I wobbled up to Scotland for a few days.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2021, 08:25:16 »
One of our 1000L water tubs picked up 750 over the weekend while I was away... the other one is full, but wasn't quite as low!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal