Allotment Stuff > The Basics

Tomato feeding question for short plants but already with flowers

<< < (3/3)

Beersmith:
My personal favourite is called sungold. One very knowledgeable contributor on these threads suggests piccolo.  Gardeners delight is an old favourite grown and loved by many. But there is always a strong element of personal choice. I'm sure others will suggest their favourites. 

A good proportion of the best tasting ones seem to be cherry size.  Sakura and sweet 100 are also highly rated.  My approach for a number of seasons has been to grow mainly my favourite and another type I have not grown before as a test/experiment. All my production is outdoors, so I have found varieties I really like but that lack the robustness to do well outdoors.  I'm still searching for that "must grow" second type.  I intend to try piccolo next year. Finding your perfect variety is part of the fun.

Beersmith:

--- Quote from: Tee Gee on June 16, 2021, 14:06:46 ---
--- Quote ---I'm so glad it's not just me with dinky tomato plants
--- End quote ---

Over the last few years, I have been noticing subtle differences with plants & seed germination.

Tg

--- End quote ---

Plenty of food for thought in your comments TG.  Like you I try to be observant but interpretation is really difficult. One of my ideas is that onions, shallots, garlic etc does much less well when rainfall is erratic.  Periods of very dry followed by very wet just seems to produce poorer yields and inferior keeping.  For me, potatoes don't seem so sensitive.  They clearly need enough rainfall but don't seem to mind if it comes in an irregular pattern.

Things are certainly having to cope with changing conditions. In the UK the last decade was about 1 degree C warmer than the long term average. It doesn't sound much but some crops need periods of cold weather to grow successfully.

And there are always the strange  effects that are completely counter intuitive to plague our understanding. I came across one not too long ago. Science has measured increasing sea levels, partly because of ice melt, party because as water warms it expands. Simple stuff. But where are the effects going to be greatest? My guess was about the same everywhere.

In fact the effects will be greatest in the northern hemisphere.  And the reason is unexpected. We know the moon has enough gravity to pull on the world's oceans and produce tides, and gravity is a function of mass and distance.  Well the ice at the south pole is far less massive than the moon but it is much much closer. Surprisingly it has enough gravity to drag the world's oceans towards the south pole. Ice melt in Antarctica will not just raise sea levels but the reduction in mass will cause the shape of the worlds oceans to to change and disproportionately the effects will be felt in the northern hemisphere.  I'm old. I doubt much will happen in my lifetime, but the grandkids are looking at a whole heap of problems.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version