Author Topic: Strimmer cord  (Read 3152 times)

Metanurb

• Not So New ...
Re: Strimmer cord
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2021, 01:59:21 »
B+Q normally have a selection, the important bit is the thickness, the manual on the Argos link says max 1.2mm which is pretty thin.

It's late so I may have missed it but I can't see a thickness on the ebay link?

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2021, 07:43:02 »
Threading the cord into a strimmer is always something of an "arcane" art...

davholla

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2021, 07:48:40 »
Threading the cord into a strimmer is always something of an "arcane" art...

By that do you mean difficult?
I could buy a spare from argos but I don't buy Argos home delivery if I can help it after a sofa took 8 months to arrive (I do buy from the shops).

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2021, 07:59:33 »
I find it quite tricky yes, not being very technically adept!

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2021, 17:24:04 »
I usually buy for my husband from Ebay.  He re-wraps it doubled up somehow.  You just need to know the diameter in mm and away you go.  Got him some nice bright yellow last time.  We have a two stroke petrol multitool and the strimmer end goes on that, but the cord housing on yours looks very similar. :)
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2021, 19:33:27 »
We  bought an adapter here which allows for use of much stronger cord and you just cut two bits to length and screw them in - mine however is petrol driven..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2021, 18:39:58 »
Those little leccy ones are just a way of selling really expensive lightweight cord. Don't fall for the pretty packaged 5m lengths. Get a 500m reel of 50lb sea fishing line. The small strimmer heads on the petrol ones can be replaced with a heavy duty  one which will take an industial strength cord. Just make sure you use it at full revs or else you will be slipping the clutch and that will need replacing more than usual.

Plot22

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2021, 15:49:05 »
I have a petrol 4 stroke Honda and if I followed the instructions I would never have put anymore line on the spool. I measure it out and  then squeeze the middle with pliers to fix into the spool and the put the 2 other loose ends in the vice and roll the spool forwards towards the vice. I find this easy to respool the line otherwise it is like wrestling with a snake.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal