Author Topic: cerise tomatoes  (Read 2181 times)

theone

• Not So New ...
cerise tomatoes
« on: June 08, 2021, 16:40:42 »
I bought two Cerise toms today (on impulse) and looked up to see how to treat them.
According to Defra they seem to be carriers of all the horrible diseases known to tomatoes.
Surely not? Has anyone else tried them?

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
Re: cerise tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2021, 20:43:50 »
For very good reasons DEFRA do not want new pests and diseases imported into this country. So they are cautious about the import of plants into the UK. There are numerous pests and diseases currently absent from the UK that could easily arrive on live plants, or even the soil in which they are growing and they assess the risks to avoid this if possible.

I had not previously heard of this variety but it seems to be Italian. Seeds if imported with the correct certification and bio hygiene procedure should not be a problem. I doubt they are any more disease prone than any other cherry tomatoes. 

Bit like controlling the borders to keep out more easily spreadable and serious covid variants.  Too late once they have arrived.  And if you are not sure if is more or less severe you keep it out until you are sure.
Not mad, just out to mulch!

Paulh

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2021, 12:08:05 »
I suspect you would find the same risk warnings if you search any tomato variety name plus "DEFRA".

theone

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2021, 08:43:54 »
Thanks both. i didn't actually search  Defra, it just came up with Cerise which hasn't happened wuth other searches.
Hope for the best now.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal