Produce > Edible Plants

Bolting Celeriac

(1/3) > >>

saddad:
Well, I had heard that the cold April might make it bolt, but had never had it happened before... this hot snap has made almost all of it bolt... a plot neighbour has some seedling I could prick out... any chance they would have time to develop?

Tee Gee:

--- Quote ---Any chance they would have time to develop?

--- End quote ---

Why not give them a try if you have space to plant them in.

As I see, it you have nothing to lose, and with a bit of luck potentially a lot to gain!

So best of luck!

Beersmith:
I would not bother. They are very slow growing, so unlikely to produce a worthwhile crop.. Might be better to use the ground for something more productive. Still plenty of time to sow some crops. How about Florence fennel?  Sown late they will often stand well into autumn. Plenty of alternatives.

I don't think the warm weather was the problem.  I think the cold early weather was the trigger.  Once they have had enough cold exposure, they seem to have a mechanism that makes them behave as if they have already been through a full winter. Then it is just natural biennial plant behaviour to run to seed. 

Beersmith:

--- Quote from: Beersmith on June 04, 2021, 22:19:55 ---I would not bother. They are very slow growing, so unlikely to produce a worthwhile crop.. Might be better to use the ground for something more productive. Still plenty of time to sow some crops. How about Florence fennel?  Sown late they will often stand well into autumn. Plenty of alternatives.

I don't think the warm weather was the problem.  I think the cold early weather was the trigger.  Once they have had enough cold exposure, they seem to have a mechanism that makes them behave as if they have already been through a full winter. Then it is just natural biennial plant behaviour to run to seed.

--- End quote ---

And I would add. In my humble opinion, bolting cannot be prevented by watering, shade or anything else once that cold trigger has been set.  Good reason to always make your first sowing of beetroot Boltardy even if you sow other varieties later.

Tiny Clanger:
Yes they have a good chance. Make sure they don't get too dry. A weekly feed may help. Good luck, hope things work out  :blob7:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version