Author Topic: My New Veg Patch  (Read 2102 times)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
My New Veg Patch
« on: May 30, 2021, 17:43:52 »
Thought you might like to see my new veg patch.

In total, it is less than the size of one of the beds I had on my allotment (30'x6') 180 sq ft

My veg patch is roughly 7'x7' add my 8'x6' Greenhouse. (= 97 sq ft)

But I think I have a good selection of things that I like to eat rather than growing stuff that is relatively cheap in the supermarkets! e.g. Brassicas, Peas etc.

Subject to the results I get this year I may or may not tweak a few changes.

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
Re: My New Veg Patch
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2021, 22:20:55 »
Renting 10 or 20 pole means you do not always use the available ground efficiently.

But as people who use beds and no dig systems often report, small areas can be incredibly productive when used correctly. Testament to your skills. Keep doing what you do. Keep enjoying it! 
Not mad, just out to mulch!

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2021, 11:39:03 »
It looks immaculate and well organised tho I personally wouldn't waste any space on Brussels sprouts.   PSB is so much more tasty and harder to find in shops.  Impossible here.

Fingers crossed for a decent growing season now it's finally warming up.
Obxx - Vendée France

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2021, 12:51:48 »
Grew some over the past winter and the crop was quite poor.

Perhaps they do not take too kindly to being grown in pots.

My daughter has been converting her paved garden into raised beds and it was her who gave me the plants so no idea what variety they were?

Perhaps I will collaborate with her next season and see what we can both come up with.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2021, 13:04:08 »
My PSB are already sown and ready to prick out into small pots.   They will later be planted out in a raised bed. 

This year's lot cropped for a couple of months before they started determinedly trying to flower and go to seed.   The chooks really loved the first flower heads to go yellow and later enjoyed stripping each plant down to a skeleton as I pulled them up over a few days.   The stalks have been "munched" by OH's shredder and are now on the big compost heap.   Brilliant plant but I expect they'll also enjoy his sprouts too when the time comes.

We have to keep our brassicas netted against chooks as well as butterflies tho PSB, being such an early crop, didn't have overhead netting and didn't get any creepy crawly munchers either.
Obxx - Vendée France

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2021, 13:20:11 »
I have just noticed I have had 6700 likes!

I would like to thank all of you who have ticked the box over the years,it's appreciated.

I am pleased to think that an old fogey like me is pleasing,let's face it,"Total strangers"

Having said that, I have to admit that I see many of you you as friends/mates.

Although as many of you will know I do not work an allotment anymore and I have still hung around with you all!

I guess it is a case of; you can take me out of the allotments  but you can't take allotments out of me.

I am not into all this "social media" thing but with A4all I
just love all the opinions( that's what I see your comments are)

So here's hoping I go on to getting 10000 likes!

Thanks again to all friend &  mates

Tg
« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 13:22:31 by Tee Gee »

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2021, 19:11:10 »
It’s looks great TG and a big Thankyou to you for all the help you have given me over the years. One day I will be doing the same growing in a smaller way at home. It’s still on the cards that houses will be built on our allotment site. I now have a new patio built at home and have been looking at where we can built raised beds. I will definately keep my greenhouse at home. The greenhouse will be the last thing to go!

Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2021, 06:21:41 »
Looking great as always TeeGee

gray1720

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2021, 08:43:20 »
As ever, I am in awe of what you are achieving, TeeGee - and I added you a "like" too!
My garden is smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum!

cudsey

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2021, 18:42:26 »
I always enjoy your information and say to myself well Tee Gee does it like this and I have picked up some tips from you so glad you still post even though have no allotments now so Thank You and will watch for your tips 
Barnsley S Yorks

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2021, 11:36:35 »
My OH asked me one day “Who is TEE GEE” ? 😂😂😂😂😂
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal