Author Topic: Well-being  (Read 3344 times)

picman

• Acre
Well-being
« on: May 18, 2021, 13:58:02 »
I had to smile watching the BBCs bit this morning on “well-being” gardening, don’t get me wrong , gardening has many healthy benefits, and people should try to cultivate gardens however small. It struck me journalists in the media have this ‘rose tinted’ view of horticulture, they fail mentioning the seeds that never germinate, the plants that get eaten by bugs, birds, rabbits etc etc, or even having a constant battle with slugs , snails, various colours of fly, etc etc, then there are a million plant diseases and fungi that want to benefit from your hard work, plus coping  with frost, heatwave, floods or drought. Even then if your still getting some well-being by digging, hoeing, raking, pruning till it hurts, the weeds take every opportunity to spoil it .. but hey that first new potato on your dinner plate makes it all worth while ..         

gray1720

• Hectare
Re: Well-being
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2021, 15:41:13 »
I often wonder about that myself, it can be very frustrating some days, but then I head for the allotment and I think of the number of times I've been there (had it 15+ years), and the number of times I've come back less happy than I went can probably be numbered on the fingers of one hand. I think it's down to the sheer depth of satisfaction when it goes right.
My garden is smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum!

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2021, 15:44:05 »
I agree!

But I have a problem now and that is; my mind is that of a 40-50 year old, but doesn’t know that my body is very much older so I have to constantly remind myself of that;

In other words;  my mind is willing but my body is weak” and sadly; my memory is waning a bit also.

Meaning once I have carried out my “ well being” intentions I always end up cream crackered !

So I guess that this is another of those trials and tribulations that the press do not know about “ Gardening”

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2021, 17:27:35 »
Goodness me, what a lot of glass half full people you are!

Yes, there are trials and tribulations and frustrations and strange seasons and pesty things but just being outside and playing with plants, nurturing them, sowing, growing, harvesting (edibles), lifting, dividing, swapping is all so positive and optimistic. 

If you're cross or frustrated, go and do some weeding and work your way through.  If you're needing time to think a bit of gentle sowing or potting on will do the trick.  Planting out is a hopeful thing to do and calming too and oh, the excitement when things grow and do well.   
Obxx - Vendée France

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2021, 23:45:16 »
My glass is always half full, despite my best efforts!
The fact that gardening is "never finished" is the greatest joy!

picman

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2021, 09:18:34 »
My comment was about the " Rose tinted glasses" of the media...  If you think your glass is half full or empty your using the wrong glass 

Paulh

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2021, 09:50:54 »
Yes, I've had some gentle conversations with vegan work colleagues about the realities of growing food. They tend to think that slugs and snails and so on just take a little and leave the rest untouched!

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2021, 10:27:35 »
Yeah it's great for your health and well being  until you fall down the slope leading to my veg area and sprain your wrist.  Just recovering now after 6 weeks and going on my first 50km bike ride...
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

gray1720

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2021, 10:40:51 »
Yes, I've had some gentle conversations with vegan work colleagues about the realities of growing food. They tend to think that slugs and snails and so on just take a little and leave the rest untouched!

My first thought when I started cleaning the first cauli I ever grew myself was "Now I know why pesticides were embraced so readily!". I don't grow them now as they need so much bloomin' watering, but I do always warn recipients of my veg that it may contain vegetarians.

As for glass half-full... my personality type tends more towards "Why have I just drunk half a pint of this piss?"!
My garden is smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2021, 12:48:26 »
Well-being, rather overused a lot lately, especially if you are not allowed to do something. I want to jog in a big group, you cant, 'but it is good for my well-being' I want stand at the pub bar, it's good for my well-being, I want to go and infect my granny at a care home, also good for my well-being. I need to go on a holiday abroad, don't care where, Its good for my bla bla bla. The gullible  are even giving money to charities that look after your well being. Excuse me, I can manage that on my own thankyou.

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2021, 20:08:34 »
As for glass half-full... my personality type tends more towards "Why have I just drunk half a pint of this piss?"!

Landlord, "Looks like rain".

Customer, "It does. Tastes like rain too"

PS
I was thinking of trying the "love in a punt" line but that should really be in the watershed.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 20:14:13 by Beersmith »
Not mad, just out to mulch!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal