Produce > Edible Plants

planting weather

<< < (2/3) > >>

saddad:
As it dries out this week, the forecast is for less rain here as the week progresses, we will get our leeks out early... dibbing holes is possible while the soil is damp... much harder if it dries out.

gray1720:

--- Quote from: Beersmith on May 24, 2021, 22:10:04 ---Tomorrow morning, I'll be off to my plot to see what effect an inch depth of hail stones has had on my tomatoes, runners, and fruit.

--- End quote ---

Oooh, that sounds nasty!

If the top of mine will just dry up enough to let me hoe properly...

Obelixx:
This time last year we were coming to the end of a 2 month drought and heat wave.

This year I'm still wearing ski socks and jumpers and we light a fire some evenings.   My dahlias in pots have been out for about 10 days and are OK but not yet planted.   Squashes, courgettes and pumpkins are still in the polytunnel under cover as we've gone down to 2 or 3 C some nights this last week.

On the other hand, I did get 50 leeks planted out between downpours and some of the onion sets but not all the baby brassicas.   Hoping to do more of those this pm, once the throbbing stops after spending 2 half the morning at the dentist having a root canal done.   Lovely.

BarriedaleNick:
Just enjoying a lovely sunny day, 26c outside and a couple of cherry toms and a couple of Red Alerts are ready for picking.  Still sowing and planting though as I have no idea what schedule to stick to.. 

Beersmith:

--- Quote from: Beersmith on May 24, 2021, 22:10:04 ---Tomorrow morning, I'll be off to my plot to see what effect an inch depth of hail stones has had on my tomatoes, runners, and fruit.

--- End quote ---

Well the good news is that things have survived.  A good proportion of more delicate crops did not look healthy. One clearly obvious sign was my physalis (Inca berries) where a lot of leaves are looking very black. The runner beans have hardly grown since planting them out, and look very pale and anaemic. My tomatoes are also  looking very poorly.  A few are a variety that were a gamble, probably better in a greenhouse or poly tunnel than outdoors. They may not survive. The outdoor varieties do not look great but should recover.

Growth of all my crops is slow. Parsnips sown seven weeks ago have eventually germinated reasonably well.  But most of the seedlings have not yet got a first true leaf. To cut a long story short, everything is very very slow.

But to be realistic, little harm that could not be remedied by a few weeks of mild weather, normal overnight temperatures, and a bit of sunshine.  Here's hoping!!

And a PS for Nick in Portugal.  Try not to gloat too much.   :sunny:

PPS Sincere admiration and a tip of the hat to some of you that have leeks ready to go in or already planted.  Mine are weeks away from being ready for that, at the moment they are looking more like blades of grass.  :icon_pale:

PPPS Fruit trees and bushes surprisingly good.  Fruit set on some gooseberries was a bit below average, but apples, pears, cherries and plums all look good as does the blackberries,  raspberries, strawberries, and currants. Every season is unique.  Probably why we love our  lotties!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version