Author Topic: butternuts  (Read 2298 times)

ACE

• Hectare
butternuts
« on: May 15, 2021, 11:10:19 »
For me they are usually very slow germinators, not this year. I popped them in last week in the greenhouse, nothing showing although most of the other squash are starting to show. I put them on the heated mat in the conservatory on thursday every one of them showing signs of life today. I'll move them back  to the greenhouse tomorrow and start the turks head on the mat. As usual the patty pan, courgettes and pumpkins have romped away.

gray1720

• Hectare
Re: butternuts
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2021, 18:53:15 »
Butternuts to you too, how rude! :-P

Yes, I sowed squashes on Wednesday - or was it Thursday - and seven are up already (the ones on the side of the tray overhanging the radiator, funny that!)
My garden is smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum!

ThomsonAS

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2021, 21:07:34 »
I went early with my butternut squash. It's only the second year I've grown them and I wanted to have time to re-sow if they didn't germinate.  Despite being sown (in a heated propagator) way back at the end of March, all six a sitting waiting for me to plant out on the plot.  All germinated - fairly swiftly - and have been hardened off.

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2021, 21:12:19 »
Clearly a bit of warmth speeds them along. 

Unfortunately by this time of year my propagator has been returned to the top of the spare room wardrobe.  But left to their own devices they seem to rarely take more than ten days anyway.  Then I think to myself. Why do I  always put two seeds in each module when they both germinate and I have to discard one?

PS Much as I love the superb flavour of Galeux D'eysine and crown prince, this season I am growing smaller varieties.  Being big enough to feed the two of us for a week sadly just too much goes to waste. I find Honey Bear have a good flavour and a perfect size for two.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 21:28:36 by Beersmith »
Not mad, just out to mulch!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2021, 22:05:52 »
I used to find butternuts and particularly tromba d'Albenga were rather iffy on germinating.  Until I left some in kitchen roll in a plastic bag on table in the sunshine in Turkey by mistake and got 100% showing in two days.  Then put them by the back of the fridge,
Last year Turkey was cancelled so I hung the plastic bag from the pipe by the hot tank.  Two days later 100%.  The trick worked well for me again this year. 
I grew Honey boat last year and was disappointed at how small there were but when cooked in the oven they were superb.  So managed a get a packet half price at the end of the season so they are doing well too.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2021, 11:10:40 »
I have never understood the thinking behind sow 2 and discard the weaker.  If the stronger one is left and the weaker one potted on it soon catches up when it doesn't have to share nutrients anymore.   Having said that, this year I sowed 4 Utchiki Kuri with bottom heat and in their own coir pots.  2 germinated, 2 didn't.  One was then eaten by a sneaky snail.

I went out and bought 3 baby butternuts cos they didn't have any Uthiki Kuris left.  All fine so far.
Obxx - Vendée France

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal