Produce > Edible Plants

Early tomato buds

(1/3) > >>

terrier:
I picked up a comment on YouTube last night about pruning tomatoes. It was suggested to take off any early buds from the plants to promote a stronger growth habit. Does anyone do this? I've never taken buds of tomato plants early in the year. Is it worth doing? If this has been discussed before, can anyone point me in the direction of those posts, many thanks for reading.

ed dibbles:
In my experience the bottom truss, the first one formed hardly ever produces tomatoes anyway so there could perhaps be an argument for removing that truss. Not that I have ever done that, at least not so far.

This year I have three grafted tomato plants on order as well as some home made grafts. (I have a packet of rootstock only seeds). It will be interesting to see whether the grafted plants are any better at setting the first truss or if the idea of nipping off the first flowers really do give the plants more strength.
I feel an experiment coming on.  :happy7:

Beersmith:
Well it isn't something I have ever tried. It sounds an interesting idea.

But I grow my tomatoes on my allotment plot. About one year in two potato blight spreads onto the tomatoes and once that happens another two weeks and it's all over.  So my aim is to get as much produce off as soon as possible. Some years I'm lucky and get a long cropping season, but it cannot be relied upon. So I would not want to delay the first pickings for later strong growth, but I'd certainly test it out if, say, I was growing at home or in a greenhouse.

Beersmith:
Well it isn't something I have ever tried. It sounds an interesting idea.

But I grow my tomatoes on my allotment plot. About one year in two potato blight spreads onto the tomatoes and once that happens another two weeks and it's all over.  So my aim is to get as much produce off as soon as possible. Some years I'm lucky and get a long cropping season, but it cannot be relied upon. So I would not want to delay the first pickings for later strong growth, but I'd certainly test it out if, say, I was growing at home or in a greenhouse.

Beersmith:
Twice?

How did that happen?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version