General > The Shed

Gardeners World

<< < (2/4) > >>

BarriedaleNick:
I don't mind Monty, I like his manner and his unassuming way. He has suffered quite badly from depression over the years - I hope it isn't the cause of this break from the show.
Having said that I much prefer a practical approach to gardening programs and much of GW doesn't really resonate with me although for the most part it is quite informative.
I don't have a lot of love for Adam Frost, he seems a bit of a Chelsea type gardener to me and I find his persona a bit irritating. 
I'd watch a how to series for gardening every day of the week and I'll give Adam the benefit of the doubt..

cudsey:
I loved watching Geoff Hamilton and I have visited Barnsdale and it was good to walk round and see the different gardens and projects that I had seen him work on while presenting the show

ACE:
I suppose I followed all the TV gardeners over the years, I still have one of Percy Throwers books.  G.H. was also an inspiration, nowadays I don't really follow the newer presenters although having worked and done TV work with most of them. I know first hand what they are really like. Alan Titchmarsh lives just down the road, I even taught him a morris dance for a charity event we were doing. Joe Swift always came over as winging it. Monty always had to have 3 or 4 takes when the camera was in front of him, his dithering along made me give him a wide berth. All the ladies were  good gardeners although Sarah Raven held her nose too high for us common gardeners, not like Carol Klein (the bag lady) and Charlie Dimmock who always had time to give advice if asked. Diarmuid Gavin and David Domoney all very entertaining but seem to get by on their celebrity status. It is a shame that the Gardeners Question Time people don't get more of a look in, Chris Beardshaw, Toby Buckland, Pippa Greenwood, Bob Flowerdew and Bunny Guinness all very good hands on gardeners, what a show they could make.  That's enough of the name dropping but as that other famous gardener Arthur Fallowfield used to say 'The answer lies in the soil'

Paulh:
Didn't Toby Buckland have a run as presenter but wasn't a success?

The tribute to just how good Geoff Hamilton was is that he is so well remembered 20 years later. Though I wonder if he would now have to be less down to earth and do a bit more of the pretty flowers stuff!

saddad:
I look forward to seeing what Adam makes of it... have been impressed with his bits so far.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version