Author Topic: Asparagus!  (Read 3115 times)

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
Asparagus!
« on: April 23, 2021, 14:21:19 »
My plot neighbour has moved plot after 10 years to one adjoining his second plot (free 5 metre polytunnel thrown in and 2 sheds). He has given me 20 asparagus crowns - he took the rest with him. I know NOTHING about growing asparagus, and just planted them in with plenty of muck in the soil (default method when I'm  not sure what to do) and top dressed with fbb. Some are starting to show, but do they need feeding? Would they benefit from magnesium sulphate?   :wave:
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

small

• Hectare
Re: Asparagus!
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2021, 15:12:51 »
I haven't fed my asparagus in years, thinking they must be near the end of their lives. This year, their thirty-seventh, the crop is heavier and earlier than ever. I think I must have struck lucky! Seriously, if they have 'taken' then I don't think you need worry about them except to keep an eye out for the dreaded beetle. Good gift, though!

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2021, 16:09:27 »
I know they like a well drained soil but I don't think they need a great deal of feeding.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

gray1720

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2021, 19:07:46 »
I planted a load last year and it's not showing yet, but the blow-in I have on the other plot just keeps getting bigger without any feeding. I think it's pretty bomb-proof! Maybe just shove some muck on over winter?
My garden is smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum!

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2021, 09:02:16 »
Thanks for that everyone. I feel a bit more confident now x
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

Plot22

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2021, 06:59:52 »
I just put a load of well rotted farmyard manure on over the winter and then remove most of what is left of it just before they start coming through in the Spring to try and keep the weeds down. The most important thing is to keep it well watered during the cropping season and to support it with in my case barrier netting after cropping to prevent the wind breaking the long canes off in the Autumn .

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2021, 09:37:57 »
We cover ours with a thick layer of rotted chippings over winter... got back from a weekend away to the first cutting today!

IanDH

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2021, 10:36:01 »
Also had first cutting this weekend.  Later than previous years - previously last week March / 1st week April - the cold has held it back.

Grew from seed that had been reduced to 50p a packet.  Pretty robust.  Cover over winter with weed matting which comes up at beginning of March.  I have always added a thin layer of compost and a bit of feed at start of season - composted chicken pellets / 6X or similar.  Cut until July then leave alone.  Numbers and size of crop has increased each year so far - yr 7.

Last couple of years have had some issues with asparagus beetle.  Removed adult and grub by hand and crush - seems to keep them down.  Eggs are quite visible so remove from stems when seen.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal