Allotment Stuff > The Basics

Asparagus!

<< < (2/2)

Plot22:
I just put a load of well rotted farmyard manure on over the winter and then remove most of what is left of it just before they start coming through in the Spring to try and keep the weeds down. The most important thing is to keep it well watered during the cropping season and to support it with in my case barrier netting after cropping to prevent the wind breaking the long canes off in the Autumn .

saddad:
We cover ours with a thick layer of rotted chippings over winter... got back from a weekend away to the first cutting today!

IanDH:
Also had first cutting this weekend.  Later than previous years - previously last week March / 1st week April - the cold has held it back.

Grew from seed that had been reduced to 50p a packet.  Pretty robust.  Cover over winter with weed matting which comes up at beginning of March.  I have always added a thin layer of compost and a bit of feed at start of season - composted chicken pellets / 6X or similar.  Cut until July then leave alone.  Numbers and size of crop has increased each year so far - yr 7.

Last couple of years have had some issues with asparagus beetle.  Removed adult and grub by hand and crush - seems to keep them down.  Eggs are quite visible so remove from stems when seen.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version