Author Topic: Losing the High Street  (Read 2724 times)

ACE

• Hectare
Losing the High Street
« on: April 20, 2021, 09:14:09 »
Now we can start to venture out again, I am well overdue with finding even more clothes that fit after 15 months of being on my 'hippy diet' about a third of me is missing. Left it a week to let the shopping hysteria die down a bit and went to the town. Apart from the rag and bone stuff in matalan and primark there is nothing. Shops are closed down all over and our 'Gentlemen's Outfitter' has gone to the wall.  Jumped on the Hydrofoil for a quick look in Southampton, same result so still walking around in baggy old clothes as apart from an aviators silk scarf from a charity shop I got nothing. Shop on line they say, but when you do not know the size you want it is a bit pointless. Still nice scarf though, West end price close to £100, charity shop price a quid.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: Losing the High Street
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2021, 10:09:47 »
Get the tape measure out!

Most websites tell you what size fits how many inches or cms and you can send stuff back for free these days.

Like you, I've changed shape and gone down 2 sizes but that means I can fit old clothes and have lots of baggies for gardening.   As long as the fabric shops don't close down I'm OK as I've never been shop shaped anyway.  They don't dress hourglasses since the 50s.
Obxx - Vendée France

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2021, 12:38:45 »
Measuring is no good, I am rather large around the chest so any jacket that fits has long arms, now and again a proper clothes shop will have different fittings in different sizes but I have to try them on. Send it back for free! They will not even deliver for free here, they class us as offshore and most will not deliver to our postcode. Marks and Sparks used to be alright but now all their stuff is from Bangladesh sweat shops and it tells. The good old outfitters (ooh suites you sir) have gone  from the high street. Tracky bottoms and white trainers seem to be the thing and as I do not go to Weatherspoons I don't wear them.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2021, 12:57:51 »
OK.  Buy stuff to fit your chest and get a local seamstress/altering service to shorten the sleeves?

Learn to sew?  I did.
Obxx - Vendée France

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2021, 15:15:00 »
My 'local seamstress'  has been making me a waistcoat, cost me a fortune as the sewing machine was not the right one, work table was not the right one. scissors, needles, cutting board anglepoise lamp all needed to be purchased, £400 later still don't have the waistcoat and it would be too big now anyway seeing as it was 3 stone ago when she started. I did get a Newlyn fishermans smock but I dare not tell her it hangs like a bag of sh!te.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2021, 15:45:41 »
I can sympathise.

I made a pair of smart, tailored shorts for OH last summer following a very detailed and complex Vogue pattern for men's suiting.  There were more pieces in those shorts with all the yoke, fly tabs, crotch liner, pockets etc than in a smart jacket for me!  And when I'd made them he'd lost weight so they're too loose.

Nevertheless he likes them so could I make another pair please wita fine Madras check?  Never again - same performance with checks to match up at the seams!!

Plain cotton next time.
Obxx - Vendée France

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2021, 21:08:25 »
Be thankful for small mercies.

More and more charity shops around here seem to be pretty shrewd about good quality stuff and price it accordingly. Aviator silk scarf?  Just £1?  You were lucky!!
Not mad, just out to mulch!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal