Author Topic: extra-long hasp and staple?  (Read 3232 times)

gray1720

• Hectare
extra-long hasp and staple?
« on: April 15, 2021, 23:18:52 »
Had to put this in the shed as it's for my shed...

The new man cave came with a mortice lock, to be honest it's not great but as it's there I intend to keep it - I didn't order it, and they didn't bill me for it, so I kept shtumm.

I was hoping to find a hasp and staple that would be long enough for the hasp to cover the lock hole, just to add an extra level of annoyance to any little twerp trying to break in* - I reckon this would be about 120mm from the edge of the door to the back of the lock - but trying to find one without going to Hasps-R-us has proved trying, no-one gives the measurements I need, and there seems to be no logic to how the measurements are expressed.

Any bright ideas as to where to find what I'm after, or do I just say "Bucket" and rely on the mortice? No-one has broken into its predecessor in the five years we've been here, but that might just be because they are scared it will collapse on them?

*Barred windows, bolted hinges, it's 14mm timber so if you can jack the roof up to get in without having a hernia, you face the next obstacle which is... it's full of crap that even the Steptoes would blanch at!
My garden is smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum!

ACE

• Hectare
Re: extra-long hasp and staple?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2021, 07:00:42 »
Use gate furniture. Usually stronger and bigger, a couple of quid from screwfix

gray1720

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2021, 09:08:33 »
Oooh, good call, Ace, and probably already set up for using bolts as well, I did have a fun day drilling the hinges and the timber struts for coach bolts, but that would save a lot of time.

Thank you!

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2021, 20:42:31 »
The measures people take to make an allotment shed secure is an interesting topic in itself.

If you intend to keep something valuable and easily carried away (strimmer, rotavator, etc) then good locks and reinforcement are well worth it.  But paradoxically if your shed contains just old hand tools, bean canes, chicken wire covers, a half full box of blood fish and bone and a ball of string there is a reasonable case for having a basic easily broken lock.

Last autumn we had several dozen sheds broken open in one attack. But later a general stock take of what was missing revealed almost nothing was actually taken. Many items were scattered around the field - they had been removed then used to break into other sheds - but over a week or so almost all got returned to their rightful owners.

I lost a heavy screwdriver. It had snapped when used to force another shed nearby. And had the cost of a small repair and a new small clasp. Total loss maybe £10. My second shed is never locked anyway. Nothing worth taking.

But the worst experience was some potholders who had the most elaborate security - metal shields over locks, heavy bolts and padlocks, hidden steel security bars, etc.  The perpetrators possibly thinking "something worth taking in here" had completely trashed windows, doors, breaking off hinges, even bursting through walls, to find what was inside.  The time and cost of repairs and new glazing for some of these was considerable.

Despicable behaviour, mindless vandalism at its worst and what did the idiot or idiots profit? Hours of work on a bitter November night for simply nothing, although one pair of size 9 boots was never found. 

So think hard before making your shed like fort Knox.  A good shed these days costs a few hundred. If the contents would only cost £50 at a car boot sale, it might be better to lose the contents than take a lot of damage to the shed itself.
Not mad, just out to mulch!

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2021, 21:06:36 »

So think hard before making your shed like fort Knox.  A good shed these days costs a few hundred. If the contents would only cost £50 at a car boot sale, it might be better to lose the contents than take a lot of damage to the shed itself.

And with luck, they may think nothing worth taking and walk away.
Not mad, just out to mulch!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2021, 09:01:11 »
I'm a great advocate of the unlocked shed... you can't stop the morons getting onto the site, or into the sheds... so I don't bother with locks...
I have more of a problem with other plot holders taking plants and produce and that is remarkably rare.

gray1720

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2021, 09:38:47 »
Were my shed on the allotment, I would probably just leave it closed with a couple of turnbuckles. The biggest "vandals" out there are the wind and the wildlife anyway. In fact, what's left of the old shed will make a toolbox for out there to keep my stuff dry, and that will probably just have a latch to stop the wind getting under the lid.

However this one is at the side of my house and if it is locked the contents are insured. I've decided to go for the relatively secure approach as hopefully the proximity to the house and lit road will dissuade anyone from making the effort needed to get in - I realise nothing will stop the determined thief, but I'd like to think that the combination of security and visibility will make them think twice about having a go. That's why I went for windows (that and a bit of natural light doesn't half make it easier too find stuff!), as they can see just how sh*t my stuff is (let's put it this way, the thing that would annoy me most if it went is the Atco Standard - look it up!), and for the trouble of getting in to get it...

Would it work? Who knows! It's been unlocked since October as it just has the lining sheets stored in it and, as far as I know, no-one has investigated it yet. It's a risk I'm prepared to take.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal