Author Topic: What to do with a big wet patch?  (Read 2455 times)

gray1720

• Hectare
What to do with a big wet patch?
« on: April 12, 2021, 21:29:37 »
A friend has asked the following elsewhere, and I figured that here would be a good place to ask for assistance:

We have an area of garden that used to be the village pond, so there's quite a dip that we can't really do a lot with. In heavy weather, it floods. A pond isn't exactly a great option because the liner would seal the ground underneath so the flooded area would just get nearer to the house. When it happens, it's usually not for long, although it did flood and then freeze this winter so the birds had their own private ice rink.
So my question is, what shubs could I plant in that area that will put up with standing water? It's about 20 feet across so I might as well make a feature of the area. It gets pretty much full sun all day.
My garden is smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum!

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: What to do with a big wet patch?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2021, 21:41:48 »
A gunnera that gets those huge leaves?  Ornamental rhubarbs which are smaller.   Forms of salix with ornamental coloured stems thru winter that can be stooled in spring to maintain size and stem colour.

Leucothoe - evergreen so a different winter interest  https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/199951/leucothoe-lovita-zebonard-/details-beta 
Obxx - Vendée France

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2021, 23:52:19 »
Isn't prevention better than cure? Couldn't the community form a landrain across the dip.

Obviously I have no idea of the general layout out of the area,perhaps a photograph of the area would give us a better idea and in turn we could come up with with better opinions on what the answer to the problem might be!

gray1720

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2021, 12:19:07 »
I'll mention it next time I'm on Fartbook, TeeGee - she has a link to the thread, so I might even have a message with one already, if she's looked.
My garden is smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal